Garches [ ɡaʁʃ ] is a commune in the region Ile- de -France in the département of Hauts -de- Seine. Administratively, it is assigned to the Canton Garches and the Arrondissement Nanterre.


The residential town with 18,118 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011) is the agglomeration of Paris 12 kilometers west of the center of the French capital on a hill between the Parc de Saint-Cloud and the Bois de Saint- Cucufa, also called Forêt de la Malmaison.


In a document from the year 1063 for the first time the name appears Garziacus. Since the 14th century, the modern spelling Garches is in use.

Ernest Negro derives from the place name from the Germanic Waracus supplemented with the suffix AS. Charles Albert and Charles Rostaing indicate the place name, however, as a variant of the Frankish Guerche, a romanized form of Werki what, fastening means'.

Traces of prehistoric settlements, which were found at the beginning of the 20th century in a sand pit, testify that the area was already inhabited during the Paleolithic and the Neolithic.

The parish was founded in 1297 by Robert de la Marche and the church was the first in France, which was the king Saint- Louis, who was a year earlier canonized consecrated.

In 1702, the area Territoire de Villeneuve- l'Etang of Garches renounced; it now belongs to the neighboring community of Marnes- la -Coquette. In the 18th century Garches grew strong and the wine was extended. During the siege of Paris in the Franco-German War Garches in 1870 and damaged in the Battle of Buzenval on 19 January 1871, the city suffered more devastating destruction.

In 1884 the railway line from Saint- Cloud to Saint -Nom -la- Bretèche was opened with a stop in Garches. The municipality received a train station and it was built a road from the station to the church square. To use the municipal area better, numerous Neuparzellierungen were carried out 1875-1925. In 1876 the municipality had 1,400, in 1926 almost 6,500 inhabitants and inhabitants.

Coat of arms

On a silver background a red Tatzenkreuz top left bewinkelt with a black fig and place the bottom right with an oak leaf of the same color. The other angles show a black masonry. About all this in the middle of a golden fleur-de- lis on an azure field.


By 1975, the population grew rapidly, has since stagnated population.


  • The construction of the church Église Saint -Louis began in 1298 in the canonization of King Louis IX. , This testifies to a Gendenktafel at the entrance of the temple. It was partially destroyed during the Battle of Buzenval. The present appearance of the church is largely the work of architect Henri Blondel and C. Maurereiunternehmers Tillet, which restored the building in 1876. The associated cemetery was relocated in 1930. The windows from the 19th century were renewed in 1980, the organ was replaced in 1983 and enlarged. 1988, the roof helmet was redesigned in 1990 and the tympanum was repaired. The facade and interior were renovated in 1995.
  • The hospice hospice Ancien Brézin was built in 1836. The façade, the roof and the adjacent chapel are under monument protection since 1978. Between 1932 and 1936, the hospital was converted into a hospital. Behind and to the east of the old building new hospital buildings were created. Today the hospital is named after the former French President Raymond Poincaré.
  • The House of the Fondation Casimir Davaine at 23 avenue de Brétigny was given 1870-1880 by Casimir Joseph Davaine, retired biologist in order. He bequeathed the building in 1891 of his wife with the condition in a rehabilitation center for girls aged between four and twelve years - regardless of denomination - to set up.
  • The property Propriété de Nubar Bey at 75 rue du 19 Janvier - is a spacious villa, which was built in 1931-1932 by the architect Auguste Perret and Gustave. The client was Arakel Bey Nubar Pasha, an Egyptian minister. The villa is a historical monument since 1976.
  • The park, Parc du domaine des quatre - vents.


  • Casimir Davaine, French physician and researcher, died in 1882 at Garches.
  • Clemens von Jagow, President of the District Court Lübeck 1956-1968, 1903 born in Garches.
  • Marie -Thérèse Kerschbaumer, Austrian writer, born in 1936 in Garches.
  • Daniel Prévost, French theater and film actor, born in 1939 in Garches.
  • Georges Poujouly, French actor, radio drama and voice actor, born in 1940 in Garches.
  • Henri Bergson († 1941 in Paris), French philosopher, Nobel Prize for Literature in 1927, buried in Garches.
  • André Derain, one of the founders of Fauvism, 1954 died in Garches.
  • Leo Prittwitz and Gaffron, Major General of the Imperial Russian Army, died in 1957 at Garches.
  • Sidney Bechet, soprano saxophonist and clarinetist Creole, 1959 died in Garches.
  • Frank Zwillinger, Austrian writer, died in 1989 at Garches.
  • Jean Orieux, French writer, died in 1990 at Garches.
  • Robert Veyron - Lacroix, harpsichordist and pianist, died in 1991 at Garches.
  • Christine Pascal, actress and director, died in 1996 at Garches.
  • Jean -Dominique Bauby, a French journalist, died in 1997 at Garches.
  • Guillaume Depardieu, French actor, died in 2008 at Garches.
  • Coco Chanel, fashion designer, had a swanky villa in Garches.
  • Igor Stravinsky, Russian composer, lived with his family 1920/21 in Garches.


  • Grobenzell, Bavaria ( since 1994).