Gerhard I, Count of Holstein-Itzehoe
He was the second son of Adolf IV ( Schauenburg and Holstein) and Heilwig of the lip.
After his father had retired as a Franciscan monk, founded by him in Kiel Marie monastery on August 13, 1239, he ruled jointly with his older brother John, initially under the guardianship of their uncle Duke Abel of Schleswig. When Adolf IV died in 1261, John and Gerhard Holstein and Stormarn divided into the counties of Holstein Kiel and Holstein Itzehoe, with Gerhard took over the part with Stormarn, Plön and looking castle and resided in Itzehoe and Johann the part with Kiel, Wagrien, Eastern Holstein. He built there the rule with clearing settlement plan fully out, so that several villages emerged. 1255 the brothers joined a trade agreement with Lübeck. Gerhard got Rendsburg from brother John, which he won back from Denmark and advocated Segeberg from. He helped his nephew in Schleswig against Denmark and thus secured the area Eckernförde. He won in 1262 at the Battle of Lohheide. When his brother died in 1263, he was appointed as guardian of the sons of Johann Regent of Kiel and Segeberg. He fought a lot with the archbishops of Bremen, Lübeck and with the landed gentry and built the Administration.
When Gerhard I. died, told his sons Gerhard, Adolf and Heinrich before 1295 to the county Holstein Itzehoe in the three counties of Holstein - Plön, Holstein -looking castle and Holstein - Rendsburg.
(. see figure ) inscription: S ( igillum ) * GERARDI * comitis * HOLTSATIE * ET * EN * SCOWENB (O) RCH (Seal Gerhard Graf von Holstein and of Schauenburg )
Marriages and descendants
He married about 1250 Elizabeth of Mecklenburg ( † ca 1280 ), a daughter of Prince Johann I von Mecklenburg and had with her the following children:
- Liutgard, ( * ca 1251, † 1289 ), married to Duke Johann von Braunschweig -Lüneburg, then married to Prince Albert of Anhalt- Köthen
- Johann (* 1253, † ca 1272 ), provost of Hamburg
- Gerhard II (* 1254, † 1312), Count of Holstein- Plön
- Adolf VI. (* 1256, † 1315), Count of Holstein -looking castle
- Henry I (* 1258, † 1304), Count of Holstein- Rendsburg
- Elisabeth ( † before 1284), married to Count Burchard II of Wölpe
- Albrecht ( † 1272-1281 )
- Hedwig ( * before 1264, † ca 1325 ), married to King Magnus of Sweden
- Mechthild, married to Count Johann von Wunstorf
- Bruno ( * after 1272, † before 1289 )
Approx. In 1280 he married Adelheid ( * ca 1237, † 1285), a daughter of the Marquis Boniface II of Montferrat ( * ca 1203, † 1253 ).