- 4.1 traffic
Grafhorst lies between the Elm- Lappwald and Drömling on the Aller.
In the year 1212 was the first recorded mention of the community. The name origin is not clear. The part of the name Graf might like other place in the area have a Slavic origin, with grave or Hrab is hornbeam. Likewise, the place name may have been taken over by a desolate has become Slavic Village Grabow. The name part Horst suggests a elevated location of the settlement on the edge of the lowland area Drömling.
East of Grafhorst in former swamp area was a fort, which is believed to be an early medieval Fliehburg. 1898 took place in an archaeological excavation at the site. In this case, an oval plant of 45 x 65 m in diameter was found, which was once surrounded by a moat and a rampart. In the bottom part of masonry, animal bones and pottery shards were found.
- SPD: 5
- CDU: 4
The Council is the local representation of the people of the community Grafhorst. The awarding of the nine seats decided by the citizens every five years by universal, direct, free, equal and secret elections. In the local elections of 2011, the SPD, the CDU won four of five seats.
The honorary mayor Klaus Wenzel was re-elected in 2011.
Economy and infrastructure
Grafhorst is just off the federal highway 244 which leads from Helmstedt to Wittingen.
By 1945 there were in Grafhorst a station on the railway line Wittingen - Oebisfelde, from 1953 to 1955 he was on the railway line Schandelah - Oebisfelde.
In Grafhorst is the Evangelical Lutheran Church of St. Elisabeth. For the Catholic population, the St. Mary's Church is located in Velpke five kilometers away.
- Georg Wenzel, honorary citizen and politician