Guilin (桂林市, Pinyin: shì Guilin; Zhuang: Gveilin, older spelling: Kweilin ) is a prefecture-level city in the People's Republic of China.
Guilin is located in the northeast of the Guangxi Zhuang Autonomous Region in south-east China, on the banks of the Li Jiang ( Li River ). The Chinese characters of the name Guilin means "city of flowers fragrance Forest "; the name refers to the large number of Osmanthus trees in the city. The city is built in a stunning landscape between hills.
The city of Guilin is composed of six boroughs, nine districts and two autonomous circles together. These are:
- Xiangshan City district (象 山区), 88 km ², 210,000 inhabitants, Postal code 541002, seat of city government until January 17, 2013;
- Municipality Diecai (叠彩 区), 52 km ², 130,000 inhabitants, ZIP 541001;
- City District Xiufeng (秀峰 区), 49 km ², approximately 110,000 inhabitants, ZIP 541001;
- City District Qixing (七星 区), 74 km ², 200,000 inhabitants, zip code 541004;
- City Yanshan County (雁 山区), 288 km ², 70,000 inhabitants, Postal code 541006;
- Municipality Lingui (临桂 区), 2202 km ², 450,000 inhabitants, postcode 541 100, seat of city government since January 18, 2013;
- Yangshuo county (阳朔 县), 1428 km ², 300,000 inhabitants, the administrative center: large village Yangshuo (阳朔 镇), Postal code 541900;
- Circle Lingchuan (灵川 县), 2288 km ², approximately 350,000 inhabitants, the administrative seat: greater community Lingchuan (灵川 镇), Postal code 541 200;
- District Quanzhou (全州县), 4021 km ², approximately 770,000 inhabitants, the administrative seat: greater community Quanzhou (全 州镇), Postal code 541500;
- Circle Xing'an (兴安 县), 2345 km ², approximately 370,000 inhabitants, the administrative seat: greater community Xing'an (兴安 镇), Postal code 541300;
- Circle Yongfu (永福 县), 2807 km ², approximately 270,000 inhabitants, the administrative seat: greater community Yongfu (永福 镇), Postal code 541800;
- Circle Guanyang (灌 阳县), 1837 km ², approximately 270,000 inhabitants, the administrative seat: greater community Guanyang (灌 阳镇), Postal code 541600;
- Ziyuan county (资源 县), 1954 km ², 170,000 inhabitants, the administrative seat: greater community Ziyuan (资源 镇), Postal code 541400;
- Circle Pingle (平 乐 县), 1919 km ², approximately 430,000 inhabitants, the administrative center: large village Pingle (平 乐 镇), Postal code 541400;
- Lipu county (荔浦 县), 1759 km ², approximately 370,000 inhabitants, the administrative seat: greater community Licheng (荔 城镇), Postal code 546 600;
- Autonomous District Longsheng several nationalities (龙胜 各族 自治县), 2537 km ², 170,000 inhabitants, the administrative seat: Big community of Long Sheng (龙胜 镇), Postal code 541 700;
- Gongcheng Yao Autonomous County (恭城 瑶族 自治县), 2,149 square kilometers, approximately 280,000 inhabitants, the administrative seat: greater community Gongcheng (恭 城镇) ZIP 5,415,400th
Ethnic structure of the population of Guilin (2000)
At the census in 2000 4.614.670 inhabitants of the greater community were counted in Guilin. The city of Guilin itself has only about 500,000 inhabitants. However, new residential areas built since 2009 in the suburbs that can expect a substantial increase in the urban population. [Note 1]
The landscape around Guilin arose when 200 million years ago drew back the Urmittelmeer by tectonic elevation of the seabed and the remaining mountains eroded slowly.
The history of Guilin can be traced back about 2,100 years. In the sources, the region is mentioned for the first time in the Qin Dynasty. In order to ensure the supply of the troops, Qin Shi Huang was a channel of the Yangtze River in the area of Guilin build. The 34 -kilometer Lingqu channel connected the Xiang River with the Li River.
An administrative unit at the site of today's Guilin is first mentioned in the year 111 BC ( year 6 of the reign of Emperor Wu of the Han Dynasty ), then as a county Shi.
From the Song to the Qing Dynasty Guilin was the cultural center of Guangxi.
After the overthrow of the Ming by the Manchus, the Ming pretender Youlang Zhu (朱 由 榔) settled down as Yongli Emperor (永历, Emperor of the everlasting experience) of the Southern Ming Dynasty in Guilin before his court to Burma fled.
1914, the seat of the provincial government of Guilin was moved to Nanning. In 1936, the Kuomintang government of the Republic of China under Chiang Kai -shek moved back to the conquest of Nanjing by the Japanese Empire to Guilin. Until 1938 the city was the capital of China. The population swelled to about one million inhabitants. 1938 drew the government on the run from the Japanese troops into the further north-west location Chongqing. 1944 were able to conquer the Japanese Guilin after the old building was almost completely destroyed by bombing.
Guilin has several universities, including the Guangxi Normal University, originally a teacher training college, Guilin Medical Academy as a medical college as well as several specialized high schools, including of Guilin Institute of Tourism, a military academy, and comparable with a college Electrotechnical University Guilin.
Guilin is a popular holiday destination in China because of its karst mountains and numerous caves. Here meander alongside the Li River several tributaries, creeks and canals through the city, which is surrounded by a whole belt of mountains with bizarre rock formations.
About 50 km to the south lies the small town of Yangshuo, offered by Guilin river trips on special ships with very shallow draft to the. In the high season daily make up to about 10,000 tourists a good four hour drive (as of 2007 ). The journey and the surroundings of Yangshuo offer a similar mountain landscape as Guilin itself, which is, however, even more impressive. Likewise, it is also possible to go by bus to Yangshuo and perform from there a shorter boat trip ( about 2 hours). Here are the most noteworthy areas to be approached by boat.
Reed Flute Cave
The largest and most impressive cave in Guilin, the Reed Flute Cave ( Ludi Yan), which is located northwest of the city in the Mountain of Light. It has its name from the reeds that grow at the entrance of the cave and from which one can make flutes. In the 240 m deep cave, the visitor makes its 500 m long path through a sea of stalactites and stalagmites. A grotto, which is called "Crystal Palace of the Dragon King ," hold 1,000 people. The colored lighting is indeed impressive, but it is thereby also the moss and algae growth promoted.
Elephant Trunk Hill
The Elephant Trunk Hill ( Xiangbishan ,象鼻山) stands at the confluence of Yang Jiang and Li Jiang. It resembles an elephant drinking the water and is the symbol of Guilin city. In the front part of the elephant's trunk mountain is a pagoda. According to a legend, here was an elephant at drinking stabbed ( by the Pagoda).
Solitary Beauty Peak
The Solitary Beauty Peak ( Duxiu Feng ) is located in the town on the campus of the College of Education Guangxi. From the top you have a panoramic view over the Li River and the surrounding mountains.
Park of the Seven Stars
The Park of the Seven Stars ( Qixinggongyuan ,七星 公园) is located in the city of Guilin. He has one of the seven hills that resemble his name to the constellation of the Great Bear. In the park there is a small zoo, flower gardens and play areas for children. Next there is still a stalactite cave to visit. As an extraordinary attraction of the Camel Mountain ( Lotoshan ) - a rock group in the form of a camel.
Mountain of the colored layers
The rock layers of the mountain of the colored layers ( Diecaishan ) are reminiscent of a stack of different colored silk ribbons.
The mountain Fubo ( Fuboshan ) is a single peak, which rises abruptly from the plain. It protrudes into the Li River, blocking the waves. Fubo is the name of a general of the Han Dynasty, once visited this mountain. Fubo but also means " to block the waves ."
Scenery of the Li River
The Li River ( Lijiang ) originates at Katzenberg in the northeast of Guangxi and flows through Guilin. The picturesque 40 kilometer long route between Guilin and Yangshuo is traveled by tourist ships. Right on the river between the two cities, there is a bigger cave ( Crown Cave ) to admire. Most of the tourist boats stop here to allow the tourists visiting the cave. The cave is characterized by its size and its diversity of stalactites. Among other things, part of the cavity is traversed with a boat. On the Li River in Yangshuo range of local cormorant fishing can be observed.
In the north- east of the city are the Royal Tombs of the Ming period. The related buildings and structures are well preserved and almost did not frequented by tourism.
Rice terraces of Longsheng
About 100 km from Guilin city located in a predominantly inhabited by the Yao minority area the rice terraces of Longsheng.
Other inner-city sites and attractions
The Zhongshanlu is the shopping street of Guilin. In addition to buying houses here are also several shops and boutiques. In the evening some of the side streets Zhongshanlu for traffic will be blocked. Here garments are then at market stalls souvenirs, but also other items such as toys or fruit and vegetables offered. Right on the Zhongshanlu is a great place with an outdoor stage. Here also open-air exhibitions but in the summer frequently ideas. Beside it is the Lijiang Waterfall Hotel, on which occasion evening and light gimmicks and coming down from the hotel roof waterfall can be admired.
Pagodas on Shanhu Lake
Pagodas on Shanhu Lake ( night shot)