Hluchiw (Ukrainian Глухів; Russian Глухов / Gluchov ) is a county-level city in the northern Ukrainian Oblast of Sumy with about 36,800 inhabitants. (2013 ) Hluchiw is located 141 km northwest of the Oblastzentrum Sumy.
The proportion of urban population is 99.3 %. The city has seven kindergartens (2004, 1990, 16 ), seven general education schools ( school year 2004 /05 ) and eight houses of culture ( 2004). On 1 January 2005 171 public associations were registered in the city, including 116 parties and 55 social organizations. The municipality is divided into the actual city and the village Sliporod (Ukrainian Сліпород ).
The village was first mentioned in 1152 in the Hypatiuschronik when he was the center of a small principality. He was revived at the initiative of the Russian Tsar Peter the Great, which Hluchiw 1708 the capital of the Cossack Hetmanate - made , which had previously in Baturyn. Among the last Cossack hetmans the place was remodeled in the Baroque style. After the Hetmanate was dissolved in 1765 by Catherine the Great, Hluchiw lost its importance, including several fires contributing. 1897 lived in the town of 14,828 inhabitants, of which 58.1 % Ukrainians, 25.9 % Jewish and 15.0 % were Russians. Smaller minorities were Poland ( 0.5 %), German (0.2%) and Belarusians ( 0.2%). Especially in the second half of the 20th century, the population increased rapidly, so that in 1979 already lived 32,386 residents in the city. By 1989 the population had grown to 35 869. Unlike many other Ukrainian cities Hluchiw recorded in the 1990s, only a small population decline, so that in 2001, 35,768 people lived in the city. Since then, the population has risen again so that currently back more people live in cities than before the transformation crisis.
In Hluchiw the composer Dmytro Bortniansky studied. Probably Maxim Berezovsky received part of his education in Hluchiw.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Andrey Razumovsky Kyrillowitsch, (1752-1836); Russian diplomat, patron of music and art collector
- Yuri Shaporin, (1887-1966); composer
- Iosif Shklovsky Samuilowitsch, (1916-1985); Soviet astronomer and astrophysicist
St. Nicholas Church ( 1693)