Libochovany ( German: Libochowan ) is a municipality in the Czech Republic, located in the Elbe valley near the Porta Bohemica in the Bohemian Central Mountains.
Libochovany was first mentioned in 1170. Instead of originating from the 13th century former castle which still exists today Renaissance castle was built in the late 16th century. From the years 1893 to 1895 comes the neo-Gothic St. Mary's Church.
Already at the beginning of the 20th century was at the near Deblík ( Deblikberg ) a basalt quarry. In recent decades, the degradation of the rock was extended to the near Trabice ( Trabitze ). Meanwhile, the reduction were already large parts of both mountains to the victim. The delivery rate is now running at up to 600,000 tonnes a year.
Since 1874 passes through Libochovany the former Austrian Northwestern Railway, at the Libochovany has a breakpoint. The Elbe ferry to neighboring Prackovice nad Labem ( Praskowitz ) no longer exists.
The municipality consists of the villages Libochovany Libochovany ( Libochowan ) and Repnice ( Repnitz ), at the same time also form Katastralbezirke.
- Castle Libochovany
- St. Mary's Church
- Holy Trinity Column