Malvaglia ( dt date: Manglia ) until 31 March 2012, a municipality in the district Malvaglia, in the district Blenio of the canton of Ticino in Switzerland.
Malvaglia is in the lower Bleniotal. It is made from the fractions " Anzano ", " Brugaio ", " Canè ", " Chiesa ", " Ciavasch ", " Cregua ", " Dagro ", " Dandrio ", " Madra ", " Orino ", " Pontei », " Rongie " and " Sciarce ".
Neighboring municipalities are Acqua Rossa, Blenio, Biasca, Hinter Rhine GR, Ludiano, Mesocco GR, GR Rossa and Semione.
The population has changed little since the 17th century: in 1602 1'164 inhabitants, in 1808 1'056 1850 1'647 1880 2'022 1900 1'606 1950 1'120 2000 1'172. The emigration resulted from the late 19th century to a sharp decline in population.
The village was mentioned in 1205 as de Malvallia ( formerly German Manglia ). He shares the historical development of Blenio. In the fraction Rongie at the Lukmanier road Roman coins bearing was found.
The insufficiency of income through agriculture, livestock and viticulture led to the emigration to Italy ( until the 19th century) and to France, England and America ( 19th and 20th century). In 2000, a third of employees in industry and half in the service worked with worked for more than half of the workforce abroad.
From 1933 to 1959, between Malvaglia and Ponterio in Malvaglia the first cable car in the Canton of Ticino in operation. Since 1995 a new cable car to Monte Dagro. The road to the Malvaglia was created in the 1940s for the construction of the dam. The ring road around the village was opened in 1976.
- The parish church of St. Martin ( Saint Benedetto originally consecrated ) was expanded in 1207. The present building dates from the years 1602-03 and the bell tower from the 13th century,
- Oratory Santi Ulderico and Apollinare and Stations of the Cross
- In the district of " Campaccio " Oratorio della Madonna Natività
- Above the village, in the district " Tagnuna », are the remains of a Casa dei pagani ( Heidehaus ), a cave castle from the 3rd - 7th Century. Several of these connected by sight Casa dei pagani located in the steep walls of the Bleniotales. They could have served both as a watch or signal Houses ( Hochwacht ). The name of the Bleniotales as Sun Valley (Valle del sole ) or Feuerlichttal (Valle dei fuochi ) could be indicative of such fire signal chains.,
- The Casa Baggio in the fraction " Rongie was in the 16th century probably the first seat of the bailiff
- Oratory Sant'Antonio Abate
- In the district of " Sgrussa " Oratory of San Dionigi
- In the Group " Dagro " oratorio Santi Vito, Modesto and crescenza,
- Are six wooden houses from the 14th century
- Near the Kastel ( Piramide mozza ) a prehistoric stone tablet was found showing the astronomical signs of the midnight sky from February to March
- In the district of " Madra " Oratory of San Giacomo
- In the district of " Dandrio " Oratory of San Giovanni Battista
- In the district of " Anzano ," Oratory of San Bartolomeo
- In the district of " Chiavasch " Oratory of San Barnaba.