Saint -Valery -sur -Somme is a small town in the French region of Picardie Somme associated with 2760 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2011 ). It belongs to the district and to the Abbeville District of Saint -Valery -sur- Somme. It is the capital of the canton of the same name.
Saint -Valery sur Somme lies at the mouth of the Somme and the Canal de la Somme in the English Channel. Saint -Valery is connected by a branch line with the railway Paris -Boulogne, seat of a commercial court and several consulates. It has a heavy with silting to be protected and declining traffic in the port, a navigation school and seaside resorts. Until the 20th century factories for canvas, locksmith and cordage, fishing and brewery were worth mentioning.
The modern lower town called La Ferté, the medieval upper town on a hill, the church of St. Martin in the 15th century and the walls of the castle of Saint -Valery.
In the port of Saint -Valery Norman Duke William gathered his invasion fleet and his invading army before he translated on September 30, 1066 for the conquest of England.
Known visitors were the painter Edgar Degas and the writer Victor Hugo, Anatole France, Colette, Julien Green and Heinrich Böll.
There is a 27 km long railway museum in meter gauge along the bay, the Chemin de Fer de la Baie de Somme; it crosses Saint -Valery on the route from Le Crotoy Cayeux -sur -Mer.
The population had in 1872 still amounted to 3,686 inhabitants.
Historic Railway Museum in Saint -Valery -sur -Somme
Church of St. Martin (St. Martin)
Bridge over the Somme Canal at Saint -Valery
- Beverungen, North Rhine -Westphalia, Germany (since 1970 )
- Ronse, East Flanders, Belgium (since 2005)