Tirgo is a place and a municipality ( municipio ) in the lower reaches of the river Tirón in the Spanish region of La Rioja with about 103 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013).
Tirgo is located on the lower reaches of the river Tirón in the northwest of La Rioja province at an altitude of about 520 meters. Good ride 50 kilometers separate the location of Logrono; the next largest cities are Haro (10 kilometers north-east ) and Miranda de Ebro ( about 19 kilometers north ). Located on the Santiago small town of Santo Domingo de la Calzada is located only about 14 kilometers to the south.
In the second half of the 19th century the place had always over 600 inhabitants; due to the phylloxera crisis, the mechanization of agriculture and the resulting lower demand for labor, the population has declined significantly since the mid-20th century.
Traditionally the first place in the economic life of the community is agriculture and especially livestock and viticulture - Tirgo part of the growing region of Rioja Alta. In addition, wheat, barley, potatoes, and vegetables are cultivated.
The town's original name was - after the Celtiberian tribe of Autrigonen - Autrigón, later Trigon based on the name of the river.
The first written mention of the place is in the year 978 in connection with a donation of the church of Santa María de Tirbo by the Castilian Count García Fernández and his wife to the Convention of Covarrubias. In the following centuries the city was once under Castilian and Navarrese times under suzerainty. In the 17th century Tirgo was recognized as an independent town (villa).
- Built out exactly hewn stone nave late Romanesque church of San Salvador dates from the period around 1200. According to a local tradition, it sometimes seems, although clear evidence is lacking, moved to the vicinity of the dissolved in 1317 the Knights Templar. Unlike the built about the same church in the neighboring Ochánduri it has - in addition to the customary and elaborate in the region south portal designed - a richly ornamented Romanesque West Portal and a high west tower. The upper floor of the tower ( maybe even the whole tower ) is an addition of the Baroque period. A bell tower ( espadaña ) rises above the triumphal arch between the nave and apse. The Romanesque apses of both buildings see confusingly similar.
- A few houses in the village wearing stone coats of arms.