Santo Domingo de la Calzada
Santo Domingo de la Calzada, is a small town on the Camino de Santiago Camino Francés in the Autonomous Community of La Rioja.
My name is identical with that of their founder, who - Built for the passing pilgrims a bridge and a hospital as well as laying out trails and paved - according to tradition. The city is also known for the chickens wonder to whose memory a (of a chicken pair inhabited ) chicken coop was placed in the cathedral.
Santo Domingo de la Calzada is located on the Rio Oja, which flows into the Río Tirón. The nearest major town is Haro (about 20- km north-east ); Logroño, the capital of the province of La Rioja, located about 48 kilometers to the east; on the way there is the remarkable town of Nájera.
In the second half of the 19th and the first half of the 20th century, the population fluctuated 3500-5000. The population increase is due in part to the establishment of small industrial enterprises and, secondly, to tourism.
- Small-scale industry
Founding of the city by Domingo García called the late 10th or early 11th century, Santo Domingo de la Calzada. Henry II of Castile died here in the year 1379th
- The late- Gothic cathedral was built over an older predecessor, which was begun in 1098 and consecrated in 1106; he is still the Romanesque apse receive. The present building dating from the 15th century is created with three aisles and ambulatory, the floor plan is that of a Latin cross. The three equal ships are spanned by decorative rib vaults resting on palmette pillars. To 1158 the cathedral to accommodate the alabaster tomb Domingo García has been extended; the canopy and the side miracle scenes from the life and work of Domingo García were created by the Catalan sculptor Damián Forment to 1535/40. The plateresque reredos at the east side of the north aisle was built in 1540. A chicken coop just to the left of the entrance is reminiscent of the sometimes too Domingo García attributed chicken miracle; the chicken pair is replaced daily. Tomb and chicken cage can be seen from the output on the Cathedral Square / Plaza del Santo. The visit to the cathedral is coupled with the visit of Kathedralmuseums.
- The approximately 70 -meter-high bell tower does not belong structurally to the Cathedral, but is about ten feet away on the other side of the street. About a plain square basement rises another by pilasters etc. more structured root mean square floor; then the tower turns into an octagonal structure and ends in a round lantern. He is referred to as the most beautiful baroque tower of La Rioja ( Moza de Rioja).
- The pilgrimage in the heart of the old town is surrounded by buildings from the 18th and 19th centuries. Some of the houses bear stone coats of arms.
- The remarkable main square (Plaza de España) and the town hall ( ayuntamiento ) is surrounded by arcaded houses.
- The multi-arched stone bridge over the Rio Oja also dates from the 18th century; it was, however, repeatedly restored.
Festivals and Holidays
- Santo Domingo ( May 1 to 15 ). (April 25, La Gaita; May 1 Los Molletes; May 10 Los Ramos, May 11 La Rueda, May 12 El Santo Domingo, May 15 San Isidro )
- Gracias y Hermosilla (17 September Gracias; September 18 Hermosilla ).
- Feria de la Concepción (Immaculate Conception) and medieval market, between 4 and 8 December
Well-known personalities of the city
- Santo Domingo de la Calzada
- Damián Forment, sculptor died here in 1540
- Gustavo Bueno (Santo Domingo de la Calzada, La Rioja, 1924), Spanish philosopher, author of the Philosophical materialism mentioned philosophical system.
- Winnenden, Baden- Württemberg