Tardajos is a place on the Camino de Santiago in the province of Burgos, the Spanish autonomous community of Castile -Leon.
The topography of the municipality is governed by the broken table mountains of the Central Spanish table-land, and thus mixed: From the height of the village ( 823 m) and the highest elevations (El Castro, 915 m, and Barrigüelo, 913 m ) results in an average height of 850 m. During the Tertiary lake a larger scale and considerable depth covered this territory. Testimony of this lake are the deep sediment layers with fossils. The resulting soils are very fertile. They are used almost exclusively agricultural and partially irrigated from the rivers and Úrbel Arlanzón.
The story Tardajos can be traced to the Celtic period of the Iberian peninsula (in this case the 8th century BC) trace. The evidence are archaeological finds from El Castro: walls and ceramic. The Celtic tribe called Turmogi, he came from Central Europe and populated the city Deobrigula which is partly seen as a forerunner of today's Tardajos. Deobrigula is mentioned in the Geographia of Claudius Ptolemy and in the Antonine Itinerary as a Roman military camp. The original settlement nucleus is due to the archaeological - suspected findings and the discovery of Roman defenses in the already mentioned El Castro - going back to the Iron Age. However, definitive local write-ups do not exist, so that even the neighboring Rabé de las Calzadas sees as a successor Deobrigulas.
After the final conquest of the Iberian Peninsula by the Romans and the end of hostilities with Celtiberian tribes of the settlement shifted to the level where its inhabitants turn left easily evaluable pottery, bronze objects and inscriptions for posterity.
In the year 882 under Alfonso III. ( Asturias ) began the repopulation of the area after the Reconquista. Nuño Núñez, Count of Castile began at the same time to build, which follows the course of the Río Arlanzón a line of defense to the castle of Castrojeriz. This includes among others also the " Castillo de Tardajos ". For 929 there is a mention of " Otero de Ajo " ( hill of garlic ) and the local churches of San Pelayo and Santa Eulalia. 1117 Alfonso VII was a prisoner of Count Pedro de Lara Castillo de Tardajos. From this period are the foral de Tardajos.
During the reign of Alfonso VIII, the Santa Maria district came under the burgaleser bishop, while the "Barrio del Rey " belonged to Hospital del Rey. 1749 sat the division of the town into two quarters with two churches continued, which were dedicated to the Virgin María and Mary Magdalene. In addition, there were six ermitas: San Sebastián, San Juan (Saint John), San Salvador ( Savior ), Santiago (St. James), San Lazaro (Saint Lazarus ) and San Roque (St. Roch ). The connection with the pilgrimage Holy illustrate how Jacob Rochus and Lazarus.
By 1955 Tardajos to Burgos was the most important place in the comarca.