Jaramillo de la Fuente
Jaramillo de la Fuente is a small municipality ( municipio ) with only 55 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013) in the southeastern Spanish province of Burgos in the autonomous community of Castile -Leon.
The small mountain village Jaramillo de la Fuente is at about 1070 meters above sea level. inst in the mountains of the Sierra de la Demanda in the southeastern province of Burgos. The distance to Burgos is about 50 km ( driving distance ) in a northwesterly direction; the nearest town is some 24 kms south to town Salas de los Infantes; are also worth seeing the ruins of the monastery of San Pedro de Arlanza (26 kilometers south-west ) and the medieval town of Covarrubias (35 kilometers south-west ).
Mid to late 19th century included the place consistently over 400 inhabitants.
The inhabitants of Jaramillo live mainly on livestock, ie of the dairy and cheese industry; Agriculture is only possible to a limited extent due to the cold and rocky elevation. In recent decades, tourism ( day-trippers and Rentals ) plays an increasingly important role in the economy of the small community.
About the history Jaramillos little is known. As the Romanesque church of the 12th century shows the place, however, must have been already settled in the Middle Ages; He was a long time to the monastery of San Pedro de Arlanza. In a directory of 1591 the place Xaramillo de la Fuente is written.
- The single-nave Romanesque church of Nuestra Señora de la Asunción is dominated by an imposing west tower with two opened by double arcades on all four cardinal directions bells bullets. An articulated by two pillars apse with a - partly figurative - console frieze under the eaves already convinced of the artistic design will of the builder. However, the architectural highlight of the church is the asymmetrically designed siebenbogige south porch ( galería Porticada ) with their slender twin pillars on which - partly figurative designed - resting of capitals; this show mostly hybrids ( chimeras ) as centaurs, griffins, harpies and sirens, but also a crowned King and Queen can be seen. The third arch on the west side is the entrance to the porch, on their ( religious and / or secular ) end no written records exist anymore. Such porches are found further north barely, but in the more southern provinces of Soria, Segovia and Guadalajara are still over 80 churches of this type have received (see San Pedro ( Caracena ), San Martín (Segovia ), and others). From the entrance hall leads a decorated with abstract geometric motifs Romanesque portal in the - rip arched in the 16th century - aisled nave of the church, which, inter alia, a decorated with arcades Romanesque font, a Gothic Crucifixion ( calvario ), a Renaissance Crucifix and a lush baroque altarpiece houses. The village church for a unusually rich features indicates a certain level of affluence of the population.
- In the village there still an imposing stone pillars court has ( see Web photo) ( rollo jurisdiccional or picota ) obtained from the 1567 - he served as sacrosanct center for local trials. Whether the punishment of the offender was carried out on the pier, is not known. Sometimes the talk that this - as on a pillory - were chained and put on display, although this is unlikely because of the stepped base zone. Another unusual feature is the enclosed by a parapet top of the monument, which is designed as ball -bearing Obelisk. Below the parapet, there are two escutcheons with the united arms of Castile and Leon (Castle and Lion).
- A source ( fuente ), which is also part of the place name, is located outside the village. Following the course of the stream you can still find the old mill stones that were once used for grinding grain. The mill building itself was renovated and no longer corresponds to the original state.