Villariezo is a municipality ( municipio ) with 573 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013) in the province of Burgos in the northern Spanish Autonomous Region of Castile -Leon.
Villariezo lies in a valley through which the Río Ausin the Castilian plateau ( meseta ) at a height of about 880 meters above sea level. inst and is almost eleven kilometer ( route ) to the southwest of the city of Burgos. The neighboring villa Pedernales is located about six kilometers to the north.
In the second half of the 19th and in the first half of the 20th century, the population fluctuated always around 300 inhabitants. After the mechanization of agriculture led to an exodus of a large part of the population in the cities. The relatively low land prices led to the construction of housing estates, leaving the population of the town grow around the turn of the millennium.
The region is very much influenced by agriculture for centuries. In the late 20th century, two industrial parks ( Poligonos industriales ) were reported.
The location of Villa de Eriezo is first mentioned in a document from the year 969 and was in the Middle Ages to the basic rule ( señorio ) of the nearby monasteries Las Huelgas Reales and San Pedro de Cardena; then served the Archdiocese of Burgos as a landlord. Changed this situation until the dissolution of the monasteries and the medieval manors ( desamortisación ) in Spain nothing.
- The Iglesia de San Pedro Cátedra, a simple classicist building from the late 18th century, stands on a hill above the village. According to tradition, there were two stonemasons who planned the brick from the exact hewn stone building and erected. The bell tower dates from an earlier building from 1702 The entrance is -. , As in the common region - on the south side of the nave. Inside the polygonal-shaped apse is a Baroque altarpiece.
- A hermit chapel ( Ermita de San Isidro ) was built in 1859 at the main square of the town (Plaza Mayor ).
- Just outside is a ' crossroads ' ( crucero ) on a stepped base; but the monument is also reminiscent of a court column ( dishtowels or picota ) as they are found in the area frequently.
- Two hermit churches ( Ermita de San Juan y Santa María and Ermita de Santo Tomás ) are in the vicinity of the place. It is believed that they formerly belonged to two different monasteries, nothing of which is preserved.
- One features double stone bridge dating from the 18th or 19th century spans the Rio Ausín.