Huerta de Rey
Huerta de Rey is a municipality ( municipio ) with 126 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013) in the Spanish province of Burgos in the autonomous community of Castile -Leon. The place was on the National Cultural Property ( Bien de Interès Cultural ) explains in the category Conjunto histórico - artístico.
Huerta de Rey is located about one kilometer south of the source of the River Arandilla on the west bank at an altitude of about 1000 meters above sea level. d. M. The nearest large town, Penaranda de Duero, is about 23 km ( driving distance ) away in the south-west; the small but interesting place Coruña del Conde is about eleven kilometers southwest. The archaeological site of the Roman town Clunia is located about six kilometers south-west. The provincial capital, Burgos is approximately 80 km in a north-westerly direction away.
In the second half of the 19th century up to the year 1950, the place had always around the 1,000 to 1,500 inhabitants. Due to the mechanization of agriculture and the resulting lower demand for labor, the population has been declining since the mid-20th century.
The place was, and is influenced to a large extent on agriculture, with livestock and dairy farming dominate; on some fields in the vicinity of wheat and barley are grown. Since the mid-20th century, tourism is an important source of income of the municipality; the place is considered, summer '. In 2012, almost won the whole place the main prize (El Gordo ) in the Spanish Christmas lottery.
About the early history of the place, exact information. The Romans founded only about six kilometers southwest of the city Clunia that should have in their heyday in the 3rd century had more than 30,000 inhabitants. A Visigothic necropolis was discovered in what is now the suburb Hinojar del Rey. During the period of Islamic encroachment of the area depopulated; the first settlers should be protected by a castle, but two advances Abd al-Rahman III. presented in the years 920 and 934, as well as the repeated assaults Almanzor the late 10th century, the continued existence of the place in question again. But in the 11th century calmed down and so the place was gradually repopulated ( repoblación ). In the 12th century Huerta de Rey came under the jurisdiction of the monastery of Santo Domingo de Silos - a situation that had 1637 stock under constant quarrels until the issue of the city rights in the year. Then the place sank into a documentary oblivion. In 1918 a fire destroyed over 300 of the old half-timbered houses, of which, however, most were rebuilt in stone.
Apart from its wooded surroundings and the fresh mountain air of the place hardly offers attractions.
- The source located one kilometer north of the River Arandilla is protected by a cottage.
- The three-nave, certain simple late Gothic and Renaissance forms church of San Pelayo dates from 1587.
- The nave church of San Andrés is from the 15th century; In the 16th century it received chapel additions on the north side and a south porch resting on simple wooden supports ( portico ). Inside, several baroque altarpiece find from the 17th and 18th centuries (see web link).