Zazuar is a municipality ( municipio ) with 253 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013) in the Spanish province of Burgos in the autonomous community of Castile -Leon.
Zazuar is about 300 meters from the north shore of the Río Arandilla, a northern tributary of the River Duero away. The distance to Aranda de Duero is about 13 km ( driving distance ) to the west; the picturesque small town of Penaranda de Duero is located about six kilometers to the east.
The name Zazuar probably derives from the Celtic or Celtiberian aza -or off, which means " rocky hill " or " rocky hill ".
In the second half of the 19th century up to the year 1950, the place had always around 1,000 inhabitants. Due to the mechanization of agriculture and the resulting job shortage, the population has been declining since the mid-20th century.
The small town was formed from the Middle Ages to the first half of the 20th century craftsmanship and mercantile center of several villages and farmsteads in the area. Today is - in addition to the wine in the classified wine region Ribera del Duero - tourism ( Rentals ) the main source of income of the municipality.
Already in pre-Roman times the area was settled around Zazuar. After the Islamic conquest of the Iberian peninsula, depopulated the area and was only after the successful reconquest of Toledo ( 1085 ) under Alfonso VI. repopulated ( repoblación ). Shortly after, a first castle ( castillo ), but which has been refurbished in the 16th century.
- The construction of the huge parish church of San Andrés was started in the 16th century; to completion, it took about 200 years. The tower with its Kuppelbekrönung with lantern is rather unusual for the region. The three-nave interior is covered by ribbed vaults, which can be seen clearly related to Gothic; only the eastern yokes themselves off by decorative rib pattern of the other yokes. Three Baroque retable adorning the apse and the east walls of the side aisles.
- An imposing late Gothic Court column ( rollo de justicia ) was erected in the Plaza Mayor in the middle.
- Several wine cellars ( bodegas ) were driven into the past centuries into the slope.
- The Ermita de San Vítores stands at the entrance to the village and dates from the 17th century.