Navarrete, La Rioja
Navarrete is a point of the Camino in the Autonomous Community of La Rioja. Because of its monuments and its historical significance of the town center was declared a Conjunto histórico - artístico.
Center of the municipality is the hill Cerro Tedeón (512 msnm ). There is also the town center.
The greater part of the territory is located in a deposition plane of the Iregua, flows through the Río Daroca today. The terrain is gentle with smaller terraces that descend to the south. The soils are clay and marl soils, the rise in the West Dehesa la Verde back. The highest point is 781 msnm at Cerro de la Dehesa. The rest of the municipality is slightly wavy and forms a small valley through which the Río Antiguo flows, which draws its water from the River iregua, some mills drives and various irrigated land.
There is the retention basin Valbornedo that absorbs excess water from Santa Coloma. The construction of the pool dates back to the founding years of the city.
Of the 2849 ha Geographical area 2572 ha are cultivated agricultural, 608 ha of which are irrigated, and the remaining 1964 are operated in the drywall ( 1992).
As for the name, it is assumed that the proximity to Navarre was decisive, it was establishing time is greater than today. Another theory dares direct translation, which involves the Basque word Nafarrate. Consequently, the place would mean in German goal Navarre, what the local conditions of the 12th century. quite correspond.
Navarrete was variously battlefield of the wars between Castilians and Navarrese. The Castilian kings tried each to secure their borders against Navarre and consolidate with castles. For this reason, struck Alfonso VIII (Castile ) the inhabitants of the surrounding hamlets (San Llorente, San Antolin, San Pedro y Nuestra. Sra.Del Prado ) prior to move to a fortified place. The new location was then applied to the castle on the Tedeón - hill. The castle had another fortification to accommodate the population in the case of defense and protect.
The place was from 1192 far-reaching foral, which included the use of water from the surrounding rivers, pastures, forests, and the right to market and a fair. Thanks to these privileges to Navarrete became an important place of his time.
With the surrounding villages formed Navarrete a "Villas del Campo " said Mancomunidad. This community association united his interests with respect to arable land, grazing and wood and has been mentioned since the 11th century.
The place went through a donation from Henry II ( Castilla) Juan Ramírez de Arellano and arrived in 1380 in the possession of Diego Gómez Manrique de Lara, Duke of Nájera.
Domenico Laffi mentioned the place in his travelogue Viaggio in San Giacomo di Ponente a Galitia e Finis Terrae
- Parish church Iglesia de la Asunción de María ( Assumption). The three-aisled building was begun in 1553 and completed in the 17th century. Inside there is a Baroque altarpiece.
- Ermita Santa María del Buen Suceso with a facade relief depicting the pilgrims. Location: south of the village, towards Entrena.
- Ruins of the medieval Hospital San Juan de Acre, donated by Doña María Ramirez. You are left hand in front of the place if you coming from Logroño follows the Way of St. James. Visible are the foundations, the building was destroyed in the 19th century. The portico of 1200 was installed at the cemetery as the main entrance and is there to visit ( at the exit ) today.
- Castillo. The summit of Tedeón Hill is named after the castle was once located there, from the remained no residues. Today there is a lookout point.