Ponferrada is the capital of the comarca of El Bierzo the province of León in the autonomous community of Castile and León, Spain. It lies 508 m above sea level at the confluence of Sil and Boeza. The population is 68,121 (as of 1 January 2013).
To the 11th century led Osmundo, Bishop of Astorga, to build a bridge for the pilgrims of the Camino de Santiago. A settlement arose around on the banks of the Sil to this bridge. First, in the hands of the Templars she gets after dissolution of the Order, including the possession of the Counts of Lemos until they claimed the Catholic Monarchs for themselves. This resulted from a dispute between the Count of Lemos and his son, in the 16th century led to several fights and changes of ownership around the castle. Finally, the Catholic kings castle and city declared their possession, and so ended the dispute.
Agriculture plays hardly any role except for the wine. The wine region of Bierzo is a region with D.O. ( Denomination of Origin ). In Ponferrada is the, with 500 employees, largest factory for columns of wind turbines in Europe. In addition, in Ponferrada metalworking, glassmaking and cement production and shale mining are operated. The services sector recorded the strongest growth.
- The main attraction is the castle of Ponferrada. It goes back to the 12th century and has been rebuilt many times throughout history. Your outermost wall was formerly at the same time the city walls of the medieval Ponferrada.
- Built in the Renaissance style Basilica de la Encina ( 1614).
- The Calle Reloj, which connects the square of the Basilica with the Town Hall Square.
- The Torre del Reloj ( Clock Tower of ), the old city gate.
- The Baroque building of the Council of Churches (1692 ).
- The Mozarabic Church of Santiago de Peñalba from the 11th century.
- The Mozarabic church of Santo Tomás de las Ollas, from the 10th century.
- The Romanesque church of Santa María de Vizbayo Otero to the 11th century.
- The Roman Fountain in Campo.
- A railway museum.
- A radio museum.
- An Art and Archeology Museum next to the Torre del Reloj.
- Near the village there are also the Las Médulas, declared by UNESCO as a World Heritage Site.
The Radio Museum of Ponferrada
Castle of Ponferrada
Church of San Andres