El Burgo Ranero
El Burgo is a small town on the Camino de Santiago in the province of León Autonomous Community of Castile -Leon. It is the capital of the municipality of the same name, which also includes the villages of Calzadilla de los Hermanillos, Las Grañeras and Villamuñío belong.
The place has the typical villages on the Pilgrim layout of the village street, the only street was formerly called Camino Francés. Bravo Lozano assumes that it was a market town belonging to Sahagún ( burgo ). The second part of the name to refer to the frogs ( Rana: toad, frog ) which in nearby Laguna Settle. A written record is available for the year 1126, another for 1138, as the Abbess of Gradefes the place gave special rights.
Domenico Laffi describes the place and its inhabitants in his travelogue of 1673, mentioning Pallozas, Celtiberian traditional round houses as they can still be seen today in O Cebreiro.
The parish church is dedicated to Saint Peter. The Romanesque wooden statue of the Mother of God, who once was here, is now shown in the Cathedral Museum in León.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Fray Pedro del Burgo, *? - † January 3, 1467, sculptor, architect and twenty years abbot of Sahagún monastery.