Ojacastro is a place and a municipality ( municipio ) at the headwaters of the Rio Oja in the Spanish region of La Rioja with about 187 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2013). For municipio include several practically all abandoned hamlet in the countryside: Tondeluna, Arviza, Uyarra, San Asensio de los Cantos and others.
Ojacastro is located at the headwaters of the Rio Oja in the far west of the province of La Rioja at a height of almost 800 meters. Good ride 57 kilometers separate the location of Logrono; the nearest large city is Ezcaray ( about three kilometers to the south). Located on the Santiago small town of Santo Domingo de la Calzada is located about 12 kilometers north-east.
In the second half of the 19th century to the mid 20th century the place had always 750-1000 inhabitants; due to the mechanization of agriculture and the resulting lower demand for labor, the population has declined significantly since the mid-20th century.
Traditionally the first place in the economic life of the community is agriculture and especially livestock (sheep, goats, cows ). In sheltered areas formerly also wheat, barley, potatoes and vegetables were cultivated.
The region belonged before the intervention of Roman armies to the settlement area of the Celtic tribes of Autrigonen and Beronen. Under the Roman rule the north and the center of the Iberian peninsula belonged to the province Tarraconensis. Scant remains, above all, the name of the place suggests that near Ojacastro a Roman military camp ( castrum ) was located.
The first written mention of the place is in the year 939 in a - probably forged in the 13th century - Certificate ( Voto de San Millán ) of the Castilian Count Fernán González. Certainly, however, is the mention in a document of Sancho II of Navarre from the year 974 More answers to follow in the 11th century under the name oxa Castro, Oxacastro, Oia Castro, Oggacastro, Olia Castro, Hojacastrum, Oiacastro, Ogia Castro, Ojiacastro etc.. was built in 1312 places at the headwaters of the Río Oja of Ferdinand IV of Castile recognition of their customary rights and other tax privileges ( fueros ) received. While the area politically one of Castile, the inhabitants of the mountain regions for a long time spoke Basque.
- The single- Renaissance parish church ( Parish Church of San Julián y Santa Basilisa ) from the 16th century has a transept and Gothic ribbed vault. Largely because of their high quality, provided with several figures cassette portal it is recognized as a cultural ( Bien de Interès Cultural ). It has a west tower with a square base and a shallow choir circuit.
- In the village square there is a court column ( dishtowels or picota ), which should document the court but also the political independence of the place.
- Most of the houses in the village are made of rubble masonry - sometimes with a floor made of simple truss. Some have Eckfassaden ( chaflanes ).
- The surface consisting of precision machined dressed stone Romanesque hermitage ( Ermita de la Ascension ) in the almost abandoned hamlet of San Asensio de los Cantos houses a Romanesque baptismal font inside. Both the single-aisled nave and the apse zweifenstrige increased by one level are vaulted.
Detail from the cassette portal (St. Lucia)
Rollo or picota
Alley with chaflanes