The district lies in the western Zwettl Waldviertel and is the largest area district in the province of Lower Austria.
The district was established in 1868. 1899 came the northwestern part (former Judicial District Weitra ) to the newly established District Commission Gmünd ( RGBL No. 123/1899 ) and the southern part (former Judicial District Ottenschlag ) to the newly established District Commission Poeggstall ( RGBL No 153/1899 ). After the dissolution of this District Commission in 1938, he came back to the District Commission Zwettl.
$ $ AllCoordinatesSectionEnd