CB Gran Canaria
2012/13: 4th place
Club Baloncesto Gran Canaria is a Spanish basketball club from Las Palmas de Gran Canaria in the Canary Islands, which plays in the ACB league. Its home games contest the first team at the Centro Insular de Deportes.
The basketball club Club Baloncesto Gran Canaria was founded in 1963 as Colegio Claret, a sports club of Claretinerschule in Las Palmas de Gran Canaria. He played from 1962/63 bis 1983/84 first in the Segunda Division, so the Spanish second division, as well as in other unterklassigen divisions. In the 1984/85 season the first team achieved promotion to the Liga ACB, the Spanish top flight. The Association subsequently adopted a new statute on 22 August 1985, started his own business under the name Claret Club Baloncesto. As a result, the Canaries for some time established as a lift team that was able to hold in a row in the ACB league for more than two seasons, but most quickly reached the climb. In 1988, the renamed CB Gran Canaria was.
The 1994/95 season ended CB Gran Canaria as a champion of the second division and rose to the fourth time on the ACB league, from which it is not yet descended. In the 2000 /01 season CB Gran Canaria for the first time took part in an international competition, the Korać Cup divided the team into the second round. 2003/ 04 the club was first allowed to start for the ULEB Cup in eight appearances so far the second highest European club competition succeeded in the Canary Islands in 2009/10, the best result when the team failed to Panellinios Athens in the quarter -finals.
In the 2012/13 season, in which the team ended the regular season in seventh place, succeeded by a surprising 2-1 against Laboral Kutxa for the first time in club history the semi-finals of the Spanish Cup. There, the Canaries failed with 0:3 at FC Barcelona. For financial reasons, the club decided not to participate in the Eurocup 2013/14, for which the team would have been authorized to start.
Throughout history, the club wore different names due to changing sponsors.
- Colegio Claret (1963-1985)
- Claret Las Palmas (1985-1988)
- Club Baloncesto Gran Canaria (1988-1999)
- Canarias Telecom (1999-2002)
- Auna Gran Canaria (2002-2004)
- Club Baloncesto Gran Canaria (2004-2005)
- Gran Canaria Grupo Dunas (2005-2007)
- Kalise Gran Canaria (2007-2009)
- Gran Canaria 2014 (2009-2012)
- Herbalife Gran Canaria (since 2012)
- Greece Michael Bramos
- Ireland Pat Burke
- Nik Caner - Medley United States
- United States Azerbaijan Jaycee Carroll
- Montenegro Vladimir Dašić
- Canada Carl English
- United States Germany Jens -Uwe Gordon
- United States Marcus Goree
- United States Venson Hamilton