Enduros are street-legal motorcycles that are designed for longer rides on paved trails and easy terrain. Compared to bikes touring bikes offer a better fit to travel in terms of range, driving comfort and payload.
- 6.1 Motorcycles
- 6.2 travelogues
Reiseenduros unite the suspension geometry of bikes with the high-torque motors and the equipment of touring. A panel of engine and chassis as well as a wind shield to reduce wind pressure on the driver and protect against rain water. A fuel tank with more than 20 liter capacity allows ranges of over 300 km. A road worthy, wide and soft seat enhances seating comfort with enduring journey. Seat height of about 80 cm allow a relaxed knee angle and an upright sitting position. Devices for luggage carrier systems for side cases and top case simplify the loading and increase the storage capacity. A higher ratio in the higher gears reduces fuel consumption on long highway trips. A roadworthy tread pattern enhances road holding at high speeds. Low fenders reduce the interference from water splashes. A motor protection and crash bars to protect the motor and housing parts. Driver assistance systems such as anti -lock brakes and traction control support the brake system. In addition, enduros, in contrast to most touring bikes come with cross-spoke wheels instead of cast wheels. The former can be repaired easier and away from civilization if damaged.
Instead of maximum power, the motors are designed for pulling and elasticity. Rated power of 55 kW (75 hp) to 110 kW ( 150 hp) from a displacement ³ are between 800 and 1200 cm customary. Due to the low profile tires, a generously sized fuel tank and drive as well as a high curb weight of usually well over 200 kg, the off-road characteristics of touring bikes are significantly limited in part.
Use to classify their Reiseenduros two-wheeler manufacturer synonymous marketing name like " Adventure" ( Triumph, Honda), "Sport Enduro Tourer " ( Suzuki), " Travel" (KTM ) or simply " Enduro " (BMW, Yamaha). In journals is also the term " United Enduro " is used.
Market Overview of in- production Reiseenduros
As a precursor of Reiseenduros the XT can be considered 500 Yamaha. In this model, a cross-country series motorcycle with a 500 cc engine was fitted in 1975 for the first time. The model R 80 G / S, BMW has launched the first real ( remote) -fledged Enduro on the market and thus developed a new type of motorcycle that has quickly found among other things, by success in the popular Dakar Rally and corresponding special models dissemination.
" 25 years ago, off road motorcycles were mainly as a racing sports equipment. But when BMW 1979 won the German championship site, the developer got the green light to make a production version of the winning machine on the wheels. Result was the R 80 GS - the acronym stands for terrain / road - the first large-scale enduro bike on the market. The combination of the powerful engine capacity on two cylinder, shaft drive and single-sided swingarm at a Enduro was regarded as a sensation - BMW had thus established the segment of " enduros " ".
Since the 1990s, a trend is noted to be more suitable for road travel at the expense of terrain suitability. One exception was the concept of the Yamaha participated from the outset in the Dakar Rally and made it a twin in a fully offroad suitable framework to obstruct and thus the XTZ Tenere series could bring in 750 cc advanced and successful victories. The later models of KTM Adventure which by Hans Kinigadner "Dakar " were compatible only with the desire to possess relatively good off-road ability. After the very severe 2001 to 2005 produced R 1150 GS Adventure (285 lbs Test ), the manufacturer BMW has moved to lower weights in favor of the terrain features again in the subsequent models.
The example of the power rating of the BMW GS, which rose from 37 kW in 1980 to now 92 kW to 249 %, you can read the general power development in the enduro segment.
- Yamaha XT 500 (1976-1989)
- Honda XL 500 (1979-1984)
Honda XL 500
- BMW R 80 G / S ( 1980-1987 )
- BMW R 80 GS, R 100 GS, R 65 GS ( since 1987)
- Cagiva Elefant 650 (1985-1987)
- Honda XL 600 V Transalp ( 1987-1999 )
- Honda NX 650 Dominator ( 1988-2000 )
- Honda XRV 650 Africa Twin ( 1988-1989)
- Kawasaki KLR 650 Tengai ( 1989-2003 )
- Suzuki DR Big (1987-2000)
- Yamaha XT 600 Ténéré ( 1983-1990 )
- Yamaha XTZ 750 Super Ténéré ( 1989-1997 )
BMW R 100 GS PD
Honda XL 600V Transalp
Yamaha XTZ 750 Super Ténéré
- Aprilia Pegaso 650 (1992-2007)
- BMW R 1100 GS ( 1994-1999)
- BMW R 1150 GS ( 1999-2004)
- Cagiva Elefant 900 (1990-1997)
- Honda XRV 750 Africa Twin ( 1990-2000)
- Honda XL 1000 V Varadero ( 1999-2012 )
- KTM 640 Adventure ( 1997-2007 )
- Suzuki DR 800 S ( 1991-1999 )
- Suzuki XF 650 Freewind (1997-2003)
- Triumph Tiger 900 (1993-1998)
- Yamaha XTZ 660 Ténéré ( 1991-1999 )
KTM 640 LC4 Adventure
Suzuki DR 800 S
BMW R 1150 GS Adventure
- Aprilia ETV 1000 Capo Nord ( 2001-2009 )
- Benelli TREK 1130 (since 2007)
- BMW F 650 GS ( 2000-2012 )
- BMW F 800 GS ( since 2008)
- BMW R 1150 GS Adventure (2001-2005 )
- BMW R 1200 GS K25 ( 2004-2012 )
- BMW R 1200 GS Adventure K255 (2006-2013 )
- Buell Ulysses XB12X (2005-2009)
- Cagiva Navigator 1000 (2000-2006)
- Kawasaki KLV 1000 (2004-2005)
- KTM 950 Adventure (2003-2005)
- KTM 990 Adventure (2006-2013 )
- Honda XL 125V Varadero ( 2001-2013 )
- Honda XL 1000 V Varadero ( 1999-2012 )
- Honda XL 650 V Transalp (2000-2006 )
- Honda XL 700 V Transalp ( 2007-2012)
- Moto Guzzi Stelvio (since 2008)
- Moto Morini Granpasso 1200 ( since 2008)
- Suzuki DL 650 V-Strom (since 2004)
- Suzuki DL 1000 V-Strom ( 2002-2009 )
- Triumph Tiger 955i (2001-2006)
- Triumph Tiger 1050 (since 2006)
- Yamaha XT 660 Z Ténéré (since 2008)
Triumph Tiger 955i
Honda Varadero XL 125 V
BMW R 1200 GS Adventure ( K255 )
- Yamaha XT 1200 Z Super Ténéré (since 2010)
- Triumph Tiger 800/800 XC (since 2010)
- Ducati Multistrada 1200 ( since 2010)
- BMW F 700 GS ( since 2012 )
- Honda VFR 1200 X Cross Tourer (since 2012)
- Kawasaki Versys 1000 ( since 2012 )
- Triumph Tiger Explorer ( since 2012 )
- Aprilia ETV 1200 Capo Nord ( since 2013)
- 1190 KTM Adventure ( since 2013)
- BMW R 1200 GS K50 (since 2013)
- BMW F 800 GS Adventure (since 2013)
- Suzuki V-Strom ABS 1000 (since 2013)
- BMW R 1200 GS Adventure K51 (since 2014)
Before the advent of Reiseenduros only few long-distance travel have been carried out with motorcycles, such as the circumnavigation of the world by Ted Simon in 1973 with then- road motorcycle Triumph Tiger 500 or the journey of Oss Kröher and Gustav Pfirrmann 1951 by Germany to India with a then already 24 years old and only 12 hp NSU team. The proliferation of enduros since the 1980s made this increasingly popular mode of travel. For example, has been published as a ten-part documentary series and a book the motorcycle trip of the actors Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman from London to Russia to New York City on BMW R 1150 GS Adventure motorcycles under the title Long Way Round.
The motorcycle magazine MO defines the " enduro program consisting of sovereign thrust from 2000 rpm, contemporary fuel economy, Cardan, on-road prestige and off-road potential who are not overweight and a seamless range of services, special equipment and original accessories ." According car Gazette have Reiseenduros " universal skills with emphasis Touring " on. Furthermore, the segment parts in two engine sizes, namely the " only from BMW, Suzuki and Triumph targeted middle class with engines 650-800 cubic centimeters " and the upper class with " mostly 1200 cubic centimeters ."
" Anyone looking for an all-purpose bike, comes Reiseenduros hardly over. High long-distance comfort with good shelter and a comfortable seating position predestine legged bikes for going on holiday for two. And who would also go on gravel paths, is the longer travel suspension and higher ground clearance to be grateful compared to purebred touring bikes. Coarser " earthworks ", however, is the high weight of the machine narrow limits. "
" With less than a liter of engine capacity in the enduro segment obviously no longer a state make. [ ... ] Not for the sake of excellence, which is here - and most probably also elsewhere in the world - rarely used. But large engine capacity promised above all lots of torque, muscular power delivery and decisive departure -. Reiseenduros for clear central characteristics "
"The Great Adventure, where to find it today? Since almost all manufacturers have thrown in the towel and serve under the name " enduro motorcycles " - if at all -. Motorcycles so that you do not even want to drive on a dirt road "
" Mighty Wind shield, sophisticated luggage systems - clear case where the journey is to go with the Greater Enduros: Far in the distance. And the possible kommod. Who now drives GS and Co, will enjoy the convenience of a touring motorcycle. That is, in addition to a fatigue-free Sitzarragement ( of course, for the passenger) will it agree with the service in the endurance run. Chain drives have a hard time better is the clean encapsulated Kardan. Also a main stand should not be missing in the equipment list - it really simplifies tasks such as oil control and safe loading ".
"Acceleration on Superbike level thanks to the hundreds of performance values , a modern chassis and a sporty setup, because it is pure joy. And not just in the area - but also there. The times in which quasi- drivable terrain -hopper and a powerful, comfortable but now not even an off-road machine you had to choose between a lightweight, rugged but on the road are over, thank God. "