The Fifth Avenue in Manhattan, New York City, is one of the most famous streets in the world. It begins at Washington Square Park, at the height of 6th street, then performs quite Midtown Manhattan, forms the eastern boundary of Central Park and ends in Harlem at the 142nd Street. In terms of rental rates applies Fifth Avenue as the most expensive street in the world.
The average rent for the shop was here last a year at the equivalent of more than 13,000 euros per square meter. Accordingly, we here mainly is the flagship stores of major brands and long-time residents who have negotiated favorable long-term contracts decades ago. The cross streets of Fifth Avenue are divided by it into East and West, each side has its own house numbering. To designate, for example, the addresses 10 East 42nd Street, 10 West 42nd Street, two different buildings. The meter is running it from the Fifth Avenue ascending to East and West.
1811, parliament passed the implementation of, among others, by former New York City Mayor DeWitt Clinton worked Commissioners ' Plan, which further construction in Manhattan envisaged on the basis of a rectangular street grid with then 155 blocks to the east-west direction and 12 roads ( the Avenues ) in north-south direction. DeWitt Clinton's town planning followed the ideals of the then young American democracy: There should be no boulevards, large squares or a hierarchical order. Therefore, the streets bear no names, but were simply numbered.
At this time, New York had just a little over 100,000 inhabitants. It was not until 1825, with the opening of the Erie Canal between the Hudson River and the Great Lakes, the New York turned into an important trading center, and the population increased rapidly, so that more than 300,000 people lived in the 1840s in New York. Yet hardly anyone lived in the 50s of the 19th century, north of 50th street, so that in these years, including from the 59th and 110th Street, and the 5th and 8th Avenue, Central Park could be created, without needing to move a large number of residents of the area or demolish houses.
1862 could be Caroline Schermerhorn Astor, one of the most respected women of that New York society, build a house on Fifth Avenue ( 350 Fifth Avenue at 34th Street ). Your model followed in the next decades, more families of New York's upper class: Carnegie, Frick, Mellon, Vanderbilt, and Rockefeller Kahn - they all were inspired by the famous New York architect, Richard Morris Hunt and McKim, Mead & White ( Penn Station build ), luxurious villas, in styles between French Renaissance, Neo-Gothic and Greek Revival. The Fifth Avenue was at that time the nickname " Milionaire 's Row ".
Beginning of the 20th century, Manhattan had now over 2 million inhabitants and Fifth Avenue was in the city center, it attracted more and more hotels and commercial properties in the Fifth Avenue, many not even 40 years old mansions were demolished to new, more larger hotels and apartment buildings to make room. Thus, the Villa of Caroline Schermerhorn Astor was demolished in 1893 to build the Astoria Hotel, which was in turn demolished in the late 1920s to the Empire State Building to build. Many of the buildings that still shape the face of Fifth Avenue, for example, the Flatiron Building or the Plaza Hotel emerged during this period.
January 14, 1966, the Fifth Avenue from Washington Square Park to 135th Street a one-way street and just to the south passable. The east lying parallel to Madison Avenue was then also declared a one-way street and is navigable only in the north. North of 135th Street Fifth Avenue is still open to traffic in two directions.
The Fifth Avenue is also Route of many parades, such as the German - American Steuben Parade or the St. Patrick's Day Parade. The famous confetti parades, however, do not take place on Fifth Avenue, but at the lowest piece of Broadway, which is there referred to as Canyon of Heroes. South 23rd Street, there is also a bike path along Fifth Avenue.
Facilities and attractions along the Fifth Avenue
From Washington Square Park to 42nd Street
The Episcopal Church at the corner of Tenth Avenue was opened in 1841 by architect Richard Upjohn in neo-Gothic style, built a few years later, the Trinity Church in downtown Manhattan. Noteworthy is the painting above the altar, " The Ascension of Our Lord " by the artist John LaFarge, who also designed four of the stained glass windows of the church.
The completed in 1902 with a height of 87 m Fuller Building by architect Daniel Burnham is one of the oldest skyscrapers in the city. Due to its location at the intersection acute Fifth Avenue / Broadway it has its characteristic shape reminiscent of an iron. Known, it is therefore under the name Flatiron Building ( to German: Iron building).
Built in 1851-1854 by Samuel A. Warner Dutch Reformed Church uses neoromanischer and Neo-Gothic elements. As her name suggests, marble was used as material.
The established in 1931, the Art Deco skyscraper was completed by Shreve, Lamb and Harmon after only 18 months of construction. With a height of 381 meters (443 meters including the antenna ), it was until construction of the World Trade Center in 1972, the tallest building in the world. From 11 September 2001 to 2012, was the tallest building in the city again before it was replaced by the One World Trade Center, which in 2013 reached a final height of 541 meters. In the 86th and 102nd floor of the Empire State Building are visitor platforms.
The main building of the NYPL, one of the leading libraries of the United States, was built in 1897-1911 by Carrère and Hastings in the style of Beaux -Arts. Before that was the Croton Reservoir, part of New York's water supply in this place. Behind the library building is the Bryant Park.
Between 42nd and 59th Street
This Art Deco skyscraper was built in 1931 by the architects of the Empire State Building.
The 38 -story Art Deco skyscraper of 1927 is on the National Register of Historic Places.
Built in 1931-1940 in the style of Art Deco building complex is spread over 3 blocks. The GE Building is at an altitude of 259m, the highest of the 21 high-rise buildings and has a viewing platform. In the center of the area, the Lower Plaza, a place that is known by an ice rink and the largest Christmas tree in the United States especially in the winter is. There is also access to the Concourse, an underground shopping arcade.
The Episcopal Church was built between 1911 and 1913 by Ralph Adams Cram and Bertram Goodhue in neo-Gothic style. The richly decorated iconostasis is the work of artist Lee Lawrie and had the altar wall of Winchester Cathedral as a model.
The church is the seat of the Roman Catholic Archbishop of New York. The cathedral completed in 1878 by architect James Renwick, Jr. is the largest neo-Gothic Catholic church building in the United States.
The town's parish church, founded in 1808, is located since 1875 at this location. For the same year is also the neo-Gothic church building.
1905 as " The Gotham " built luxury hotel in the Beaux- Arts style, which is performed on the Conde Nast Traveler's 2006 Gold List as one of the three best hotels in New York.
The built in 1904 on behalf of John Jacob Astor IV by architects Trowbridge and Livingston in the Beaux- Arts style building was 20 storeys the tallest hotel in the city at that time and is now one of the most exclusive hotels in the world.
This 200 -meter-high residential and office building was built in 1983 by architect Donald Trump The Scutt. It has a six -storey high lobby with shops and cafes.
This branch of Tiffany & Co. is the figurehead of the jewelery company and since the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's with Audrey Hepburn a tourist attraction.
The tower was built in 1921 by Warren & Wetmore was one of the first buildings in the city with mixed use. Sale and exhibition rooms on the lower floors and offices on the upper. From its founding in 1929 until moving to its present location, the Crown Building housed the Museum of Modern Art
Today's Plaza Hotel is the second hotel building at this location and was completed in 1907 by Henry J. Hardenbergh 's Renaissance. Feature of the hotel is its exclusive location at the southeast end of Central Park and Fifth Avenue. Furthermore, it already served several times as a film set.
At the site of the demolished 1964 Savoy Plaza hotel, the 215 m high General Motors Building was completed in 1968. The ground floor of the toy store FAO Schwarz and in the basement of an Apple Store, which can be entered through a glass cube with an edge length of almost 10 m.
Between 59th and 82nd Street
1913 instruct Henry Clay Frick, the architects Carrère and Hastings (New York Public Library) with the construction of the Villa, together with his art collection went to his death in 1919 on a foundation that rebuilt the house to an art museum exhibit at Frick Collection. Frick Collection presents more than 1100 works of art from the Renaissance to the late 19th century.
This institution for the promotion of Ukrainian art and culture is housed in a neo-Gothic town house, the banker Isaac D. Fletcher in 1897 by CPH Gilbert had built. After his death it was bought by oil millionaire Harry F. Sinclair and is therefore also known as Harry F. Sinclair House. The building is listed as a National Historic Landmark since 1978.
Between 82 and 104 Street ( Museum Mile )
The museum, founded in 1870 is today a collection inventory of more than 3 million works of the greatest museums in the world. The exhibits cover all periods of art between antiquity and modernity. The neoclassical building was designed by Richard Morris Hunt
The house was built 1906/1907 as a residence for an American Ambassador in Berlin, according to the plans of the architects Welch, Smith & Provot. Inside, it contains typical contemporary wood paneling, elaborate, historical Deckenstuckaturen, hardwood floors and oak doors. It is a listed building. Due to renovation, the Goethe - Institute is currently at the 72 Spring Street.
The museum, founded by Serge Sabarsky and Ronald Lauder shows German and Austrian paintings of the early 20th century. The neoclassical town house where the gallery is located, is a design of Carrère and Hastings, formerly inhabited by Grace Wilson Vanderbilt.
The Museum of Modern Painting was founded in 1939 and is the first of the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, which now operates five museums around the world. With the construction of the museum building on Fifth Avenue in 1943, Frank Lloyd Wright was commissioned. The building was completed but not until the end of 1959, six months after Wright's death.
Museum of American art of the last two centuries.
1929 completed the Episcopal Church in the Art Deco style and the Gothic Revival.
Owned by the Smithsonian Institution museum displays objects of design and decorative arts. The museum is housed in the former Andrew Carnegie Mansion, a 1903 built villa in the English country house style in which Andrew Carnegie lived until his death in 1919.
Museum of Jewish Art. In addition to paintings and photographs and manuscripts are exhibited.
Founded in 1974, the museum and research center for photography. Since 1985 there is also another exhibition space at 1133 Avenue of the Americas at 43rd Street.
The museum focuses on the history of New York City, beginning with the Dutch colony of Nieuw Amsterdam. The exhibits include besides maps, paintings, and clothing also rooms that are decorated in the style of the time.
The collection of the museum, founded in 1969 includes more than 6,500 works by artists of South and Central America.
The hospital was founded in 1852 as " The Jews Hospital" is one of the best in the United States.
Between 104 and 142 street
The scale than Mount Morris Park Park is one of the oldest in the city. In 1973, he was after Marcus Garvey, founder of the " Back to Africa " movement, named, who lived in Harlem from 1916 to 1927. In addition to an open-air theater is also a swimming pool in the park.