Maoming (Chinese茂名 市, pinyin Maoming Shì ) is a prefecture -level city in the predominantly Yueh -speaking Guangdong Province of the People's Republic of China. The administrative area of Maoming has an area of 11,459 km ² and about 7.2567 million inhabitants ( end of 2008). The Maoming Dialect of Yueh belongs to Gaoyang dialect group (高 阳 方言 片), which is mainly used in Yangjiang and on the Leizhou Peninsula.
At county level, Maoming consists of two districts, a circle and three independent cities together. These are:
- (1) City District Maonan (茂南区), 487 km ², 710,000 inhabitants, center, seat of the city government;
- ( 2) the municipality Maogang (茂港区), 420 km ², 480,000 inhabitants ( end of 2004);
- (3) City Huazhou (化 州市), 2354 km ², 1.42 million inhabitants ( end of 2003);
- (4) City Xinyi (信宜市), 3081 km ², 1.24 million inhabitants ( end of 2002);
- (5) City Gaozhou (高 州市), 3276 km ², 1.50 million inhabitants;
- (6 ) circle Dianbai (电白县), 1855 km ², 1.23 million inhabitants ( end of 2003), capital: greater community Shuidong (水 东镇).
- Tan Liangde, a diver and a winner of Olympic medals