Shantou (Chinese汕头 市, Pinyin shì Shantou, formerly known as Swatow ) is a prefecture-level city in Guangdong province in the People's Republic of China. Shantou is located on the South China Sea on the border with the province of Fujian. The Tropic of Cancer passes through the city. At the following location an enlarged globe is set up as a Note: ⊙ 23.442222222222116.58861111111. This is located outside the city center. Shantou has a subtropical maritime climate with an average temperature of 21.3 ° C. The administrative area of the city has an area of 2064.4 km ² and 5.065 million inhabitants.
At county level, Shantou is made up of six districts and one county. These are:
- (1) City District Jinping (金 平 区), 108.71 km ², about 738 500 inhabitants, center, seat of the city government;
- ( 2) the municipality Haojiang (濠江 区), 134.88 km ², approximately 272,500 inhabitants;
- (3) City District Longhu (龙湖 区), 103.58 km ², about 320 500 inhabitants;
- ( 4) Chaoyang District (潮阳 区), 667.6 km ², about 1.4134 million inhabitants;
- (5) City District Chaonan (潮南区), 596.42 km ², about 1.1006 million inhabitants;
- (6) City Chenghai District (澄海 区), 345.23 km ², about 697 900 inhabitants;
- ( 7) circle Nan'ao (南澳 县), 108 km ², 70,000 inhabitants, capital: greater community Houzhai (后 宅镇).
Shantou is a major port and industrial city in southern China, and one of the first four special economic zones in the country.
Shantou has as well as the neighboring Chaozhou special relationship to Thailand, since a large part of the local ethnic Chinese population comes from the area of Shantou.
Shantou port area
- Japan Kishiwada, Japan, since 1990
- Canada Saint John, Canada, since 1997
- Vietnam Can Tho, Vietnam, since 2005
Sons and daughters of the town
- Teresa Hsu Chih (1898-2011), social worker
- Watchman Nee (1903-1972), preacher
- Lin Shusen (* 1946), politician
- Shing -Tung Yau ( born 1949 ), mathematician