Medlingen is a municipality in the Swabian district of Dillingen on the Danube and a member of the administrative community Gundelfingen on the Danube.
- 2.1 Amalgamations
- 3.1 Coat of Arms
- 4.1 Structures
- 4.2 monuments
- 4.3 Natural Monuments
- 5.1 traffic
- 5.2 Established businesses
- 5.3 Formation
- 5.4 Sons and daughters of the town
Medlingen located in the Danube valley at the edge of the Swabian Alb, right on the border to Baden- Württemberg. Medlingen lies approximately in the center of the county towns of Ulm, Dillingen an der Donau, Günzburg and Heidenheim an der Brenz.
The municipality consists of two villages Medlingen Obermedlingen and bottom Edlingen as well as the ethnic yards stockyards and Bächinger mill.
1978 was awarded to the Danube in the context of local government reform Medlingen the administrative community Gundelfingen. Besides Medlingen and Gundelfingen including the places Haunsheim and Bächingen. The associated communities continue to have autonomy (own mayor). To manage Community ( VG) include about 11,500 inhabitants. The first mayor of the city Gundelfingen is also the head of the VG.
The first mention of the name Maedlingen goes back to the year 1217, although it is not certain whether or Obermedlingen Bottom Edlingen was meant. The name means to the people of Madilo. Obermedlingen was first mentioned in 1260, and the two villages for the first time in 1317 distinguished by the addition of the church patron St. Radegund Maedlingen. Bottom Edlingen is then as Radgund, Radgen, cycling and Ratenmaedlingen or Nidermedlingen known before 1399 the name falls Bottom Edlingen first time.
In general, the history of both districts is closely linked with that of the Obermedlinger monastery.
In the years 1973 and 1974, the citizens of Obermedlingen and bottom Edlingen spoke in two secret ballots for a merger between the two communities. The common name Medlingen was endorsed by a large majority. The final merger into a unified community Medlingen took effect on 1 January 1975.
The council has eight members. Since the local elections of 2008, the seats are distributed on the following lists:
- Independent Voters Association: 4 seats
- Free electoral association Bottom Edlingen: 2 seats
- Citizens list: 2 seats
Mayor since 2002 is Stefan Taglang ( UWV).
Coat of arms
The Coat of Arms description is: Under blue shield head, in a leaping silver dog with a golden torch in its mouth, the battlements cut diagonally split of gold and red, obliquely from above side by side three black deer tracks.
Culture and sights
- Former monastery and the collegiate church in Obermedlingen with an outstanding - the local and landscape formative - the church tower.
- Loretto Chapel in Obermedlingen, consecrated with a magnificent Rococo altar, 1758
- Consecrated filial church of St. Radegund in bottom Edlingen, baroque building in 1762
- The several hundred years old, striking Bächinger Linde (in fact, but a Wych Elm ) halfway between Obermedlingen and Bächingen was made in 2003 as a natural monument under special protection.
Economy and infrastructure
From Medlingen the motorway A 7 (about 10 minutes on the B 492 ) easily accessible and the A 8 ( about 15 minutes on the B 16 ) directly. The B 16 is about 2 km away. Medlingen is not far away from the district towns of Ulm (about 30 min), Heidenheim (about 15 min), Günzburg (approx. 15 min) and Dillingen (about 15 min).
- Scaffolding and timber Kurt Mayer
- Top -of-home crack
- FZ Advertising & labels
Sons and daughters of the town
- Benedict Holland ( born December 16, 1775 in Obermedlingen, † June 18, 1853 in Munich), Benedictine, including professor of theology at the Imperial Abbey Neresheim and professor of philosophy and director of the seminar to Neuburg