Thon Buri District

Thonburi ( Thai ธนบุรี ) is one of the 50 districts (Khet ) of Bangkok, capital of Thailand. It lies on the western bank of the Chao Phraya River and it was once a province of Thonburi.

Thonburi borders with seven other districts, clockwise from the north: Bangkok Yai, Phra Nakhon ( on the other bank of the Chao Phraya River ), Khlong San, Bang Kho Laem ( on the other bank of the Chao Phraya ), Rat Burana, Chom Thong and Phasi Charoen.


1772 did the newly appointed King Taksin of Thonburi to its capital after the ancient capital of Ayutthaya was destroyed by the Burmese. From here, he consolidated the rule over the whole of Siam.

At that time, Bangkok was a small fishing village across the river, both places were among the Europeans as the " place with the two fortresses ."

Today's Thonburi district was initially " Amphoe Ratchakhrue " ( Thai: ราชคฤห์ ), since an eponymous temple ( Wat ) lay nearby. On 11 July 1916 he was renamed " Amphoe Bang Yi Ruea " because the administration was in this Khet. Finally he got on April 17, 1939 its present name " Thonburi ". At that time he still belonged to the province of Thonburi, but this was merged with Bangkok to today's Bangkok Metropolitan in December 1971.


  • Taksin Monument in the middle of the huge roundabout Wong Wien Yai ( วงเวียน ใหญ่ ) (although technically the Monumernt on the Khlong San side of the border between the Khet Thonburi and Khlong San is located ); the portrait is designed by Prof. Silpa Bhirasri and was unveiled on 17 April 1954.
  • Santa Cruz Church - was built in the late 18th century on the banks of the Chao Phraya, as Thonburi had become the capital of the new Siamese kingdom. At that time lived in this area many Portuguese merchants and missionaries.
  • Wat Kalayanimit ( inscription as " Kanlayanimitr " ), large Buddhist temple ( wat ) on the banks of the Chao Phraya river. The huge seated Buddha in the main Viharn is, however, called Luang Phor Thor of the Chinese population Sam Po Kong. On the temple area is also home to the largest bronze bell from Thailand.
  • Wat Intharam Woraviharn - Buddhist temple ( Wat ) with many Chinese styles. This temple has been renovated by King Taksin. His ashes are interred here in a large Chedi.
  • Wongwian Yai Railway Station - the starting point of a picturesque train trip in parallel with the " Khlong Mahachai " (which is the railway line was his name) to Samut Sakhon up at the mouth of Maenam Tha Chin River into the Gulf of Thailand ( see links).


  • The Phra Phuttha Yodfa Bridge ( also known as Memorial Bridge ) connects Thonburi with the " Rattanakosin Island ", the Khet Phra Nakhon.
  • On Wong- Wian Yai ( Big Roundabout) is the Wong- Wian Yai Station. From here, the so-called " Maeklong - Railway" leads down to the banks of Maenam Samut Sakhon at Tha Chin.


In the district of Thonburi are the Rajabhat University Bansomdejchaopraya and the Rajabhat University Thonburi.


The district is divided into seven sub-districts ( Kwaeng ):