Tox ( Corsican Tocchisu ) is a municipality with a population of 88 (as of January 1, 2011 ) in the Haute- Corse on the French island of Corsica.
Tox is on an average height of 527 meters above sea level, 3 km southeast of the Regional Natural Park of Corsica in Castagniccia, 50 kilometers southwest of Bastia, the seat of the prefecture of the department and 5.6 km southeast of the canton capital Moïta. The Mairie (, mayor ') of Tox is, however, at an altitude of 402 meters. The municipality has an area of 14.79 square kilometers. The village is surrounded by the neighboring communities Campi, Tallone and Linguizzetta. The Valley of Bravona marks the southern boundary of the municipality.
Tox one climate zone type Csb is ( according to Köppen and Geiger ) assigned: Warm Temperate rain climate ( C), maximum rainfall in the summer months of less than 40 mm ( ( s ) ommer dry), all months are below 22 ° C, but there are at least 4 months, which are warmer than 10 ° C ( b). There is a Mediterranean climate with moderate summer.
Culture and sights
Tox is a well-preserved medieval town center. The place name is derived from tocsin, which can both, bell ' as well, ringing bells ' mean. The Chapel of Our Lady -de- grace is a place of pilgrimage. It stands 538 meters in height on a mountain top north-east from the town center.
The parish church of Saint -Jean -Baptiste is dedicated to John the Baptist. It was built in the 18th century instead of the original Romanesque church. Only parts of the older church were reused, which is why it is partly Romanesque, partly baroque. It is entered in the additional list of Monument historique ( historical monuments '). In the church there is an altarpiece depicting the Virgin and Child, Saint John the Baptist and the Archangel Michael. It dates from the mid 16th century and is classified as a monument historique.
Economy and infrastructure
The copper deposits of the Mine de Linguizetta were classified in 1778 as a very rich, but until 1855 Auguste Marie Le Coat de Kerveguen was granted a mining concession. The work has already been set in 1857, then resumed in 1872 by the British company Cardo mining. Until 1877 15 to 25 people worked under the direction of an English engineer in the mine. 1878, the Company acquired a steam boiler that powered the crushing machines, yet the little profitable mine was abandoned a few months later. 1926 renounced the granddaughter of Le Coat de Kerveguen on the concession. Today, only a few traces of the mining operations and the ruins of a building on the street can be seen that combines Tox with Linguizzetta.
An important branch of industry is the wine, the vineyards cover an area of 78 hectares.
The nearest railway station is 18.9 kilometers away in Poggio- Riventosa, the nearest airport is the Bastia airport. The nearest police station is 8.5 kilometers away in Piedicorte -di- Gaggio. The nearest primary school is located 10.3 kilometers away in Cervione in the neighboring municipality Linguizzetta, the next Collège.