Zuani is a commune with 31 inhabitants (as of 1 January 2011 ) in the Haute- Corse on the island of Corsica.
Zuani located on an average altitude of 712 meters above sea level in the Regional Natural Park of Corsica on a mountain ridge in the south of Castagniccia, 48 kilometers southwest of Bastia, the seat of the prefecture of the department. The municipality has an area of 5.16 square kilometers. The village is surrounded by the neighboring communities Ampriani, Pianello, Mazzola and Pietra Serena.
Zuani a climate of type Csb is ( according to Köppen and Geiger ) assigned: Warm Temperate rain climate ( C), maximum rainfall in the summer months of less than 40 mm ( ( s ) ommer dry), all months are below 22 ° C, but there are at least 4 months, which are warmer than 10 ° C ( b). There is a Mediterranean climate with moderate summer.
Zuani was founded in 771 by refugees who had left Rome by the Lombards, due to frequent attacks. The founders included the family Andrei, whose descendants still live in Zuani, for example, the current mayor ( mayor ') Paul Gluganti.
1824, the municipality of Aleria was formed from parts of the municipalities of Zuani, Moïta and Pianello. In 1800 Zuani had 276 inhabitants. From 1886 to 1911 the population rose. Most residents of the community had in 1911 and 1931 ( 540). Thereafter, the population declined.
Culture and sights
There are several hiking trails in the municipality and various rural hostels. There is a tennis court and a swimming pool, which is operated by the Association U Pianto. The village is surrounded by nine towers, which date from the time of occupation by Pisan.
The monastery of Saint -François de Zuani from the 16th century, today in the municipality of Ampriani. Through the French Revolution (1789-1799) it was national property. The monastic cells in the west wing were converted into dry areas in the 19th century. Today the monastery is in private hands and was registered in 2008 in the list of Monuments historiques ( historical monuments ').
The parish church of Sainte -Marie is built in the Baroque style. The front door was manufactured around 1760. It is richly ornamented and classified as a monument historique. The decor, the proclamation dar. Two paintings in the church are also classified as historical monuments. A painting dates from the 17th century and was probably originally in the monastery of Zuani. The second painting was created in 1796. Both paintings depict the Virgin with the Child and various saints. A group of sculptures from the 18th century shows the same topic and is also classified as a monument historique.