Uccle (French ) or Ukkel (Dutch ) is one of 19 municipalities of the Brussels- Capital Region. It has 79 610 inhabitants (as of January 1, 2012) to 22.9 km ².
Uccle / Ukkel located south of the city, adjacent to the Brussels boroughs Forest / Vorst, Ixelles / Elsene, Brussels City and Watermael-Boitsfort/Watermaal-Bosvoorde and to the Flemish facilities communities Sint -Genesius -Rode, Linkebeek and Drogenbos. Uccle / Ukkel is geographically to Brussels City is the largest municipality of the Capital Region.
The community share of the southern forest, the Forêt de Sonian / Zoniënwoud belonging to him adjoining residential areas to the ringleader of the Belgian capital. Here many rich personalities have their mansions on huge, partially park -like grounds. Among the known devices in Uccle / Ukkel include the Royal Observatory, the Royal Meteorological Institute and facilities of the University of Liege.
Uccle / Ukkel has five suburban stations of the Belgian railway company and is served by the tram lines 3, 23, 52, 55, 90, 91 and 92.
- Ovide Decroly (1871-1932), Belgian educational reformer, who kept a school in Uccle / Ukkel and died there in 1932
- Leopold Fleischhacker (1882-1946), the German sculptor and Emigrant last lived in Uccle / Ukkel, where he died in 1946.
Sons and daughters of the town
- John Cluysenaar (1899-1986), Belgian sculptor and painter
- Louis " Luigi " Marie Van Hege (1889-1975), football player and bobsledder
- Pierre Harmel (1911-2009), politician, professor of law at the University of Liege, Prime Minister of Belgium 1965-1966
- Rudolf Cranz (1918-1941), German ski racer
- Jacques Tits ( born 1930 ), mathematician
- Francis Bertrand (1937-1994), cartoonist
- Salvatore Adamo ( born 1943 ), honorary citizen since June 2, 2010
- Paul De Grauwe ( b. 1946 ), Professor of International Economics at the Katholieke Universiteit Leuven
- Ronald Guttman ( born 1952 ), actor
- Jean -Marie Wampers ( b. 1959 ), cyclist
- Bernard Clerfayt ( b. 1961 ), Belgian politician
- Axel Merckx (born 1972 ), Belgian cyclist
- Mathilde d' Udekem d' Acoz (* 1973), Queen of Belgium, wife of King Philippe of Belgium
- Vincent Kompany ( born 1986 ), a Belgian national football team
- Maxime Martin ( born 1986 ), Belgian racing driver
- Dedryck Boyata (* 1990), Belgian footballer