History Portal | Portal Biographies | Current Events | Calendar years
Heads of State
Year of The Fire Tiger丙寅( at the beginning of the year Wood Buffalo乙丑)
Syria: 617/618 ( year in October )
Politics and World Affairs
- Emperor Constantius I, who sits only since the previous year on the Roman throne, dies during a campaign against the Picts and Scots in Eboracum (now York). His successor is the former Caesar Flavius Valerius Severus.
- 25 July: The soldiers in Britannia appoint Constantius ' son, Flavius Valerius Constantinus ( " Constantine the Great") to the anti-emperor. Emperor Galerius approves him to the vacant title of Caesar.
- In Rome there is unrest arise as rumors, the Praetorians would be deducted from the city and the existing tax exemption of the Romans would be repealed. The city had lost in the past much of its importance as a center of the empire.
- October 28: The Praetorian Guard stationed in Rome appoint the son of former emperor Maximian Marcus Aurelius Valerius Maxentius to rival emperor. Maxentius appointed initially to the princeps invictus ( " undefeated ruler ").
- November: Sixteen Kingdoms: Li Xiong, self-proclaimed King of Chengdu, calls from the Emperor of Cheng Han.
- The Baths of Diocletian be completed.
- Adrian of Nicomedia, Christian martyr
- Constantius I, Emperor of Rome (c. 250)
- Probus, Bishop of Byzantium
- Theodore Tiro, a Roman soldier and Christian martyr