Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / old parameter despite LAU
Template: Infobox Municipio / Maintenance / Administration Name is empty
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / No Freguesia
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / card is blank Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / old parameter despite LAU
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / Height is empty
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / mayor is empty
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / maintenance / road is empty
Template: Infobox city in Portugal / maintenance / management location is empty Template: Infobox city in Portugal / Maintenance / Web page is blank Arronches is a small town ( Vila ) and a circle ( concelho ) in the east of Portugal with 3165 inhabitants (as at 30 June 2011).
A variety finds indicate a prehistoric settlement. Presumably, the town was founded as a Roman settlement in the province of Lusitania at the time of the Emperor Caligula, however, a lack of clear evidence. After the Arab conquest from 711 Arronches belonged to al -Andalus. The name goes back to the first inhabitants of the place, who came from the place Aroche in the present province of Huelva in Spain.
During the Reconquista King D.Afonso Henriques conquered the place in 1166 for the now independent Kingdom of Portugal. The village remained contested. So took after reconquest by the Moors King D.Sancho II Arronches in 1235 again in possession. First City rights were granted place 1255th After repeated attacks by the Arabs Paio Peres Correia managed the definitive reconquest of the town 1242. During the Revolution of 1383 Castile took Arronches in possession until Nuno Álvares Pereira the place recaptured 1384.
In the course of his administrative reforms renewed king D.Manuel I. city rights 1512. During the Restoration War, the place in 1661 fell under João de Áustria to the Habsburg Spain, but he was still in the same year reconquered by Portugal, in one of the decisive battles of the Restoration War. King D.Pedro I. renewed 1678 city rights of Arronches. 1712 defended the place from a last attempt to conquer Spain.
Culture and sights
A number of Megalithic are here to see, usually called in Portuguese Antas. Even rock paintings can be seen, the sitios de pintura rupestre de Arronches ( including the Lapa dos Gaivões ). Other monuments include stone fountains, mansions, remnants of various fortifications, historic private and public buildings, and various religious buildings, such as the former monastery church Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Luz do Convento dos Religiosos Agostinhos Calçados (also Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Luz ) from the 16th century.
The historical center of the town as a whole is under monument protection.
The Museu de ( a) Brincar (German: about: Museum of gambling ) deals with the history of gambling and the toy, and offers to educational activities. In various small devices traditional crafts is shown in place and partly sold.
The football club was founded in 1939 Arronches e Benfica, a club branch of Benfica, plays in the regional division of the Association in the District of Portalegre and plays its home games at the Estádio Municipal de Arronches from urban. There also plays the Atlético Clube de Arronches, which also maintains Futsal departments. Other sports clubs are the Centro founded in 1902 Republicano Arronchense and existing since 2011 Futsal club Terrimponente Associação Cultural Desportiva e Recreativa. In Pavilhão Municipal de Arronches, a municipal sports hall complex, also the home games of futsal teams take place.
Arronches is the administrative seat of the homonymous district, which borders the northeast Spain. The neighboring districts are (clockwise starting from the north ): Portalegre, Campo Maior, Elvas and Monforte.
The following municipalities ( Freguesias ) lying in circle Arronches:
- Assumption ( municipality Arronches )
- June 24
Since the setting of the railway line Linha do Leste 2012 Arronches has no connection to the railway network in the country more.
The national road N246 connects Arronches with Elvas and its easy motorway access to the A6 motorway in the south, and with the district capital Port Alegre in the north. The N371 leads to Campo Maior, while the N243 the place with Monforte and connecting it to the IP2 (also European route E 802) connects.
Public transport is provided by local bus routes to Barraqueiro Group belonging Rodoviária do Alentejo.
Sons and daughters of the town
- Francisco Aranha (1603-1677), Jesuit theologian and author
- Álvaro de Castelo Branco (1619-1668), theologian and author
- Francisco Xavier Aranha († 1771), Bishop of the Diocese of Olinda, Brazil
- Edmundo Curvelo (1913-1954), philosopher, logician and translator
- Artur Semedo (1924-2001), director, actor and screenwriter
- Francisco Rodrigues Palmeiro ( born 1932 ), football player