( Listen? / I ) Coevorden is a city and a municipality in the German -Dutch border in the Dutch province of Drenthe.

  • 3.2 Mayor and Alderman
  • 3.3 Town twinning
  • 4.1 traffic 4.1.1 Railway
  • 4.1.2 Car
  • 4.1.3 bus
  • 4.1.4 ship



The town of Coevorden located in the southeast of the province, bordering Emlichheim and Laar in the County of Bentheim ( Lower Saxony). Other neighboring municipalities are Hardenberg ( Overijssel ), Emmen and Hoogeveen. This is also part of the municipality Schoonoord lies 20 km north, between Emmen and Westerbork.


The municipality consists of the same town where the local council has its headquarters, and 37 other hamlets and villages.

Districts according to population:

Other districts with fewer inhabitants: ballast, De Haar, De Mars, The Hool, Kibbelveen, Klooster, Nieuwlande, Padhuis, Pikveld, Vlieghuis, Weijerswold.


In 1148, there is talk of Coevorden ( = Kuhfurt ) for the first time. The place is strategically located on a sand ridge in the south of Bourtanger Moores. Any distributor, ( Westphalia ) used the land between Friesland and Munster had to travel through Coevorden.

On July 25, 1227 took place at Ane (municipality Hardenberg ), 7 km south-west from Coevorden, a bloody battle had taken place between the ( supported by the Drenthe and Bentheim farmers ) insurgent Lord of Coevorden and the Knights of the Utrecht bishop. The Utrecht suffered a humiliating defeat, even the bishop was killed.

It was not until 1407 Coevorden received by the Emperor Charles V, the municipal law and the right to hold fairs. The city was destroyed by a major fire in 1579 to 33 %. As George of Lalang, Count of Rennenberg went over to the Spanish camp during the Eighty Years' War in 1580, occupied his troops also Coevorden. The Dutch troops rushed to the scene with Johan van den Corput had to realize that the city would not have been to conquer and moved to the defense of Steenwijk. Coevorden remained a siege so that at least initially spared. Maurice of Orange snatched the Spaniards in 1592, the city (where the again, and this time almost entirely burned down ) and let it expand to 1605 one of the strongest Dutch forts. The famous military architect Menno van Coehoorn renewed these defenses. In 1672 it was conquered by Munster troops, a little later recovered by the Dutch. A re- conquest by the Münster failed due to a flood, which the besiegers almost all drowned.

Then Coevorden was for a long time until the French occupation (1804-1813), a quiet border town. The railway connection in 1905 initiated an industrialization. After 1950, however, attracted many enterprises and regional authorities to the more modern Emmen.


Mayor and Alderman

  • Mayor: B. J. Bouwmeester ( D66 )
  • Beige Classified: G. Roeles (VVD )
  • Beige Classified: T. Pot- Eland ( PvdA)
  • Beige Classified: R. Wilting (CDA )


Coevorden maintains a partnership with the cities located on the other side of the border town of Nordhorn (since 1963 ) and friendly relations with the community Emlichheim, both in Lower Saxony. There are also friendly contacts with Kutno (Poland), Brest ( Belarus ), Vancouver (Canada) and the circle Ninghe in the People's Republic of China.

Economy and infrastructure



The town lies on the railway line between Zwolle and Emmen, which is served every half hour in transport. Since 1910, the city has the Bentheim circular path, now Bentheim Eisenbahn AG, connection to the German rail network and the location Laar ( border station ) across the border in Germany. From there, there is a connection in the direction of Nordhorn, Bad Bentheim and until 1981 continued to Gronau. On the Bentheim Eisenbahn AG only freight transport is conducted since 1974, however, which is very extensive. The Bentheim Eisenbahn AG operates on the Dutch side considerable international freight with its own rail systems and connection to the network of the Nederlandse Spoorwegen (NS). The expansion of the station Coevorden - Heege in the years 2006/2007 brought the expansion of the railway tracks on the German - Dutch border with it, so that it is now an " international " station.


The N34, a two-lane highway, connects Coevorden Emmen in the Northeast and Ommen (Netherlands) and Zwolle in the southwest. Also Emlichheim in Germany is easily accessible via the B 403 ( 10 km).


In the city the following bus routes:

  • 26: Coevorden - Schoonebeek Klazienaveen - Emmen
  • 27: Hoogeveen - Geesbrug - Zwinderen Gees Oosterhesselen - Meppen - Aalden - Zweeloo - Emmen
  • 29: Coevorden - Slagharen - Dedemsvaart - Zwolle
  • 33: Coevorden - Steenwijksmoer - Nieuwe Crimean Dalerpeel - Nieuwlande - Hoogeveen
  • 223: Coevorden - Dalen - Wachtum - Oosterhesselen - Meppen - Aalden - Zweeloo


Coevorden is achievable for 800 - ton ships on the Coevorden - Almelo Canal. The port is located on the edge of the cross-border commercial zone Euro Coevorden - Emlichheim. Ships as a Kempenaar can drive in 18 hours of Rotterdam or Amsterdam to Coevorden. The municipal administration Coevorden advocates that the channel for larger vessels is made passable. The Province of Overijssel is owner of the channel.


Coevorden is a not insignificant industrial and commercial city and benefits from factories in which animal feed, board and building material is manufactured. NATO addressed in 1984 in the city of a depot a spread in the military stocks, maintained and were up and handled. This facility was taken over by the Dutch army ( land forces ) in 1999.

Together with Emlichheim is a large, cross-border industrial and commercial area, the euro Park, developed. It is now easily accessible by train, barge and truck and was extended in late 2007.

Due to the beautiful nature, especially in the northern area of ​​the municipality, tourism is important. Finally, a large part of the base area of Coevorden is used for agriculture.


  • The 1490 every year since about mid-November, held the goose market is now a popular festival, among other information, a "Miss geese guardian " will be crowned. Previously geese were traded for the Christmas table and slaughtered locally.
  • The 1972 fully restored castle of Coevorden. A copy of the castle can be found in Vancouver, Canada, whose name is derived from a Mr Van Coevorden.
  • The open air museum Ellert en Brammert in Schoonoord. It is named after two legendary robbers, was the giant Ellert and Brammert named. The museum gives insight into life in Drenthe in the 18th and 19th centuries.
  • The picturesque farming villages Aalden and Meppen, Gees and Oosterhesselen. In the latter the manor house " De Klencke " is (not visible ) with stunning parkland and just such a nature preserve ( hiking, owned by the Nature Monuments Foundation ). Aalden is considered one of the most picturesque spots in the Netherlands.
  • In the district of Dalen, it is found just outside the center and near the German border, the holiday park De Huttenheugte of the Center Parcs brand. The park was established in 1972 and attracts visitors primarily to Germany and the Netherlands.

Sons and daughters of the town