35.8484314.50255Koordinaten: 35 ° 51 ' N, 14 ° 30' E
Gudja (or Il- Gudja ) is a village in Malta with 2892 inhabitants (as of 31 December 2010). It is located south of the Grand Harbour on a small hill and from there you can overlook the Malta International Airport.
Gudjas coat of arms bears the motto " PLURIBUS parens " (English: Mother of many children ). These children are Safi, Kirkop, Hal - Farruġ, Luqa, Tarxien and Mqabba, all once belonged to the parish Gudja.
The village has a palace called Palazzo Bettina, who is believed that Napoleon there during his short stay in Malta was staying, when Malta was ruled by the French.
The parish church is dedicated to the Assumption of the Virgin Mary and is the only church in Malta with three bell towers. The most striking of them is the William Baker Tower, which was built in the 1880s by an English architect of that name.
Inside the church there are some interesting works of art: the painting of the Assumption of Mary was created in 1887 by the Italian painter Pietro Gagliardi. The same painter was employed in 1889 with the portrait of " Our Lady of Carmel ." Another interesting painting is the "Death of hl. Josef", which was created in 1894 by Italian artist Domenico Bruschi. The most important statue in the church was carved in 1807 by Maltese Vincenzo Dimech of wood.
Gudja also has the famous 500-year old chapel of Santa Marija ta ' Bir Miftuħ.
A famous architect from the time of the Knights of St John, Girolamo Cassar was born in Gudja.
Pop singer Madonna lived during their short stay in Malta in Gudja.
In Gudja there is also a football club, the " Gudja United FC ". He was successful in the 1980s, when he narrowly missed promotion to the 1st League.