35.89722222222214.461111111111Koordinaten: 35 ° 54 ' N, 14 ° 28' O
Birkirkara is with 22 613 inhabitants ( 31 December 2010) is the largest municipality of the island nation of Malta.
The municipality consists of the districts Birkirkara St Helen, St Joseph, Our Lady of the Carmel and St Mary. In the West, located in the district Mriehel the Simonds Farson's brewery.
Birkirkara is one of the oldest towns in Malta, and has today an aqueduct. In the city, the St. Aloysius, founded in 1907 ' College.
- Basilica of St. Helena
- Church of St. Helena: The Church of St. Helena is an impressive work of art. In 1950, she was called by Pope Pius XII. raised to the basilica. In honor of St. Helen is in place every year at the Catholic Memorial on August 18, a hard place. see also: St. Helena (Birkirkara )
- Old Railway Station Garden: The Old Railway Station Garden is a park, which is grouped around the railway station, part of the former railway line Valletta Mdina from the 19th century.
The football club FC Birkirkara plays in the Maltese Premier League, the highest football league in Malta, and have been submitted twice (2000 and 2006) national champion.
Birkirkara maintains a partnership with the Italian city of Grosseto.
Sons and daughters
- Alfred Sant ( born 1948 ), Prime Minister of Malta between 1996 and 1998
- Anthony Mamo, (1909-2008), first President of the Republic of Malta
- Edward Fenech Adami ( born 1934 ), President of Malta from 2008 to 2009
- Walter Micallef, (* 1955), Maltese singer and composer
- Tonio Fenech, (born 1969 ), former Mayor of Birkirkara and President Finance and Economy Minister