35.91330714.497462Koordinaten: 35 ° 55 ' N, 14 ° 30' E
Sliema is a modern vibrant city on the northeast coast of the island of Malta, with many shops, restaurants, hotels and big-city atmosphere and a major commercial and residential area. Sliema, which means as much as peace was once a quiet fishing village on a peninsula across from Valletta. Today, Sliema and the coastline upstream St. Julian's Malta's most important seaside resorts, especially for language travelers and because of the mild winter climate for older tourists.
On the coast there are five military installations: the St. Julian's Tower to the 17th century, Fort Sliema from the period around 1880, the Cambridge Battery, the Battery Garden and Fort Tigne of 1760, opposite Fort St. Elmo. From the harbor, numerous excursion boats and a ferry from Valletta. The German Embassy is located in the Tower Road.
The influence of the British
In Sliema English is primarily spoken, what makes it different from all the other towns and villages of Malta. The use of English eventually jumped over to neighboring cities Swieqi and St Julian's, as well as to more upscale areas such as Attard and Balzan. Sliema has a considerable number of streets that are named after British governors or places, such as Norfolk Street, Prince of Wales Road ( which was even inaugurated by Prince Albert in person when he visited the island ), Graham Street, Milner Street, Fort Cambridge and many others.
People in Sliema mainly support the nationalists and are probably the strongest proponents of the European Union. That could be a reason that the conservative Partit Nazzionalista (PN) got 75 % of the votes at the general election in 2003. There are also growing sympathy for the green - alternative Alternattiva Demokratika (AD).
In the Great Siege of 1565, was il - Qortin - so Sliema was then called - a camp for the Turkish troops of Dragut. He was at the point where now stands Fort Tigne up a gun battery to take from here, Fort St.Elmo under crossfire. Sometimes the place is still called " Draguts Point".
Sliema has possibly of a chapel of the Virgin, which, safely guided his name as a flashing light and landmark the past few fishermen at Fort Tigne, which was built by the Knights of Malta in the late 18th century and later expanded by the British in the harbor. The name could therefore from the prayer " Hail Mary" (Maltese " Sliem Għalik Marija " spoken Sliem a Maria) descended.
In the early 20th century, the city quickly began a summer residence for the richer strata of the nearby Valletta to develop. Their elegant villas and town houses line the quiet, inland streets leading today. At the northern end of the town there was the working-class neighborhood known as The Lazy Corner to German about the slow corner, which had taken its name from obviously a pub, frequented the locals as well as British soldiers, and that still stands today, although the institution has changed due to new Bauentwicklungen. Various Victorian buildings and in those days a three-kilometer long promenade, from which one had a nice view of wild rocks, farms and even a small sandy beach. The farm was abandoned in 1990 and in a coastal garden, known as Gnien Independenza ( Independent Garden ) transformed. The Victorian buildings were demolished and replaced by multi-storey luxury apartment block. However, some houses are made in the narrow streets of Sliema and so have the formidable development towards survived to modern. The Sliema promontory offers some breathtaking views of Valletta and, on the other hand, the open sea. The beach promenade, which runs for several kilometers from Gzira to the south of Sliema to St Julian's, is ideal for walkers and joggers. There is ample seating and so is the sea front on warm summer neighbor a busy meeting place for locals.
Population and famous inhabitants
Sliema population is today ( 31 December 2010) at 13,985 people. Until 30 years ago it was 26,000 inhabitants, nor the most populous city in Malta, but due to its high land prices are many, especially young people, no longer able to price and must leave the city. A part of those who have left the city, settled in the neighboring Gzira, Birkirkara and also in Swieqi, considered together with St Julian's, Sliema as suburbs. Today, the city of persons of foreign nationality who spend part of the year in Sliema benefits.
The city was also home of the former Prime Minister George Borg Olivier and birthplace of former prime minister and opposition leader Dr. Alfred Sant. Sliema housed temporarily in addition one of the leading thinkers at the turn of the 20th century, Manwel Dimech. The Lower Prince of Wales Road has now been renamed in his honor.
Sliema has a number of churches such as the Jesus of Nazareth dedicated in- Nazzarenu or the Virgin consecrated Sacre Cuor, which is the oldest church in Sliema in 1878. Furthermore, one encounters the venerable Chapel Mount Carmel and a church dedicated to Gregory I..
The most famous sports club in the city is called Sliema Wanderers. The Wanderers already won 26 times, the Maltese football championship ( most recently in 2005 ) and are therefore most successful club of the island nation.
Born in Sliema
- Percy Alexander MacMahon (1854-1929), British mathematician
- Alex Sceberras Trigona (* 1950), Maltese politician of the Malta Labour Party
- Peter Hitchens ( born 1951 ), British journalist and author
- Marc Storace (* 1951), Maltese rock singer and songwriter
- John Attard -Montalto ( b. 1953 ), Maltese politician (Malta Labour Party )
- David Attard ( born 1953 ), Maltese lawyer and expert in the field of maritime law
- Peter Baldacchino ( born 1960 ), Bishop in Miami
- John Buttigieg ( born 1963 ), former Maltese football player and coach since 2009
- George Pullicino (born 1964 ), Maltese politician of the Nationalist Party
- Ira Losco (* 1981), Maltese singer
- Kevin Sammut ( born 1981 ), former Maltese football players
With Les Sables d'Olonne in the Vendée département Sliema in 2004 twinned closed.