Lanao del Sur
Lanao del Sur is a province in the central part of the island of Mindanao in the Philippines. Lanao del Sur is part of the district of ARMM, the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao.
The provincial capital is located at Lake Lanao and Marawi City is called. The governor of the province is Aleem Basher D.Manalao.
Lanao del Sur is surrounded by the provinces of Lanao del Norte to the north, Bukidnon to the east, Shariff Kabunsuan and Cotabato to the south. The province has a total area of 3872.9 km ².
To the southeast lies the bay of Illana, part of the Gulf of Moro. The landscape is dominated by hills, plateaus, volcanoes and mountain ranges, which are intersected by numerous valleys. The water-covered area of the province occupies 340.39 km ² and consists mainly of lakes and swamps. On the border province of Cotabato, the active volcanoes Latukan and Ragang raise. Another active volcano is 1,940 meters high Makaturing, he rises above the bay of Illana.
In the center of the province you will find the Lanao Lake, forms the outflow of the Agus River. The lake is the largest lake in the island of Mindanao, as well as the Maria Cristina Falls, one of the largest waterfalls in the entire country. Southwest of Lake Lanao is the smaller 120 meter deep DAPAO Lake. The province run through a number of rivers, the province on their way to the Lanao Lake or in the bay of Illana or the northerly bay of Iligan.
Demography and language
According to the census of 2007 living in Lanao del Sur total 1.138.544Menschen. In order for the province in the population statistics of the Philippines occupies the 29th position. On average, 294 inhabitants come to a square km. This means the 43rd place in this category.
The most common language spoken in the provincial dialect is Maranao. In addition, the Filipino languages Tagalog and Cebuano are similar spread, such as English and Arabic.
The original inhabitants, the Marano, are characterized by a unique culture, which is expressed mainly in a special music, the chime music. This style of music is found both in the Muslim, as well as the non-Muslim groups of the Southern Philippines.
The inhabitants of the province of Lanao del Sur are known for fancy weaving as well as for their skills in dealing with metal and wood. The textiles of this province are famous for their elaborate design and colors.
In addition to sales of craft products is due to the numerous water bodies in the area, the breeding of freshwater fish in fish ponds one of the main industries of the province. In addition, in the region of various fruits are grown, while tourism is, through the varied landscape with its mountains, lakes and numerous waterfalls, one of the relevant economic factors of Lanao del Sur.
Lanao del Sur is subdivided into 39 municipalities and a city independently managed.
The municipalities are in turn subdivided into a total of 1,155 barangays ( districts ). The province is divided into districts also 2 Congress.
- Marawi City
- Bacolod Kalawi ( Bacolod Grande)
- Balindong ( Watu )
- Buadiposo - Buntong
- Ditsaan - Ramain
- Lumba - Bayabao ( Maguing )
- Lumbaca - Unayan
- Mala Bang
- Pagayawan ( Tata Rikan )
- Picong ( Sultan Gumander )
- Poona Bayabao ( Gata )
- Sultan Dumalondong
The province is characterized by a pleasant, interspersed by constantly occurring throughout the year, rainfall, climate, without having a pronounced dry period. The wettest month is February, the driest June.
It should be noted that the province is outside the typhoon belt, the clips the northern Philippines.
The area around the Lake Lanao and the coast of the Bay of Iligan was originally settled by the Marano. The name " Lanao " derives from the word " Ranao " from the Maranao dialect, which means " Lake People " or " people of the lake ".
Islam was brought on the northern coast of the country and quickly sat down in the area by. In the 17th century, the Marano went into an alliance with the powerful Maguindanao Sultan Kudarat, as it was considered that, to a Spanish colonial control of the region struggled to maintain power in the shaft.
When the Spaniards explored the area around Lanao 1636, they found at the northern end of the lake in front of a populated settlement called Dansalan. The place was for two years in Spanish hands, but by the constant hostility of the inhabitants it was finally abandoned. Lanao del Sur, in the following over many years an important starting point for raids on settlements in the Visayas and Luzon.
As the power of Maguindanao in the 18th and 19th centuries, gradually subsided, the Marano focused on sultanates a chain around the lake, the unfolding free from control by the Spaniards or their neighbors from Maguindanao.
By the end of Spanish rule in the Philippines, they were trying to subdue the people of Marano. 1891 Spanish troops occupied the Mala Bang on the southern coast of the bay of Illana. 1894 the Spaniards conquered the place Marahui and brought to enforce their interests gunboats in the Lanao Lake. The Spanish presence increased with the outbreak of the Philippine Revolution, however, quickly and in 1900 American troops reached the province.
However, the Marano refused to even this great power and in March 1902 there was a first series of fighting between locals and American occupiers, which was followed by others.
Lanao was from 1895 a district of Mindanao. In 1903 she was included by the U.S. administration in the province of Moro. The Lanao province was created in 1914 with the organization of the " Department of Mindanao and Sulu ."
Dansalan was appointed in 1907 to an independently administered municipality in 1940 and even to a city, but only in 1950 recognized as such. In 1956, the city Dansalan with the Republic Act No. 1352 was renamed in Marawi City. The name comes from the word raw, a lily, which occurs in the near of the Agus River.
As with the Republic Act No 2228, the former province of Lanao was divided into the provinces of Lanao del Norte and Lanao del Sur on July 4, 1959 was appointed Marawi City the capital of the new province of Lanao del Sur.
1980, the name of the city was extended in Islamic City of Marawi. She is now the only recorded town in the Philippines, whose inhabitants are predominantly Muslim.
In a referendum held in 1989, the residents of Lanao del Sur voted exclusively for one belonging to the Autonomous Region in Muslim Mindanao ( ARMM ), the city of Marawi City itself, however, voted against doing such membership.
Lanao del Sur gained international attention during the Muslim-Christian clashes in the 70s of the 20th century. In October 1972, the city of Marawi City by rebels of the Moro National Liberation Front ( MNLF ) was attacked and occupied. 1979 was followed by peace talks between the MNLF and the Philippine government in the course of the province to a part of the autonomous regional government of Central Mindanao was.
The Lanao del Sur province remained until the final peace treaty of 1996 constantly under the control of the MNLF.
- The Mindanao State University ( Main Campus )
- The Lanao Lake
- Aga Khan Museum
- Torogan ( of Tuka )
- The High Minarets of Marawi
- Abu Bakar Mosque ( the largest mosque in Lanao del Sur )
- Dansalan Market