San Salvador de Jujuy
San Salvador de Jujuy is the capital of the northernmost province of Argentina, Jujuy, with more than 400,000 inhabitants in the metropolitan area one of the larger cities of the country.
Jujuy is located at the confluence of the Río Xibi Xibi and the Río Grande de Jujuy in a valley at 1238 m on the eastern edge of the Andes. The terrain of the area is hilly and covered with forests, the climate is subtropical, hot and humid in summer and dry in winter - cool.
Wholesale Jujuy includes, in addition to the actual city ( 230,000 inhabitants) still densely populated district Palpala well as some smaller towns in the area. The extended metropolitan area includes the cities of El Carmen, Monterrico, San Antonio, Perico and San Pedro.
The distance to the Argentine capital Buenos Aires is about 1600 kilometers.
The city was founded in 1565 for the first time of the coming of the Spanish colonizers Perú today, but it soon destroyed by the Indians, so they had to be rebuilt twice. Jujuy was founded in 1592 by Velazco. Final to 1593 Francisco de Argañaris could set here. From the colonial period, many buildings have been preserved in the center.
At the end of the 19th century, the town had 5,000 inhabitants, the brisk trade with Bolivia and Chile exaggerated, while they carried cattle, mules, Chichabranntwein, fruits, hides, salt and gold dust. At that time joined a railroad the city with Buenos Aires.
Over the years, Jujuy developed from a base on the way to the Bolivian mines to a modern city.
Only after 1980, the 100,000 - population mark was skipped. Between 1980 and 2000 she was for it the fastest growing city in the country.
Unlike in most parts of Argentina, many of the inhabitants descendants of various tribes of Indians or mestizos. Only about 30 percent are pure European descent ( national average: 85%), which can be seen on an independent cultural life. Chance the languages Quechua, Aymara and Chiriguano are spoken.
Jujuy is primarily an administrative city. The real wealth is in the countryside: in the oil fields northeast of the city, the rich tobacco growing area in El Carmen (10 km south) and in the sugar industry in Ledesma ( Argentina ) (80 km northeast). In the adjacent city Palpala there are also steel industry. It is also important trade with the neighboring countries of Chile and Bolivia.
Architecture and culture
In Jujuy ( so the city is called by the locals ), there is the Plaza Belgrano with a well-preserved church in the colonial style. In addition, the place of the Government Palace and the old town hall ( Cabildo ) was limited. In the city itself, there are a few other old churches. However, they are all similar. 's Plaza Belgrano
Just outside the town, by the river Reyes are surrounded by high mountains, the king springs " Termas de Reyes ". The water is warm and rich in minerals and there is the opportunity to bathe in it. There are bus connections to the town and the view points in the area are within walking distance.
- José Ignacio de Gorriti, politicians and military
- Víctor González, screenwriter, director and cinematographer
- Vargas, Venezuela, since 2004
- Tarija, Bolivia, since March 8, 2004