Wikon is a municipality in the constituency Willisau the canton of Lucerne in Switzerland.
Wiigge, as the locals call the town is located south of Zofingen between the Wigger in the west and in the east Uerke. Except in the south of the town always borders on the neighboring canton of Aargau. Four of the six main settlements occur in the plane of Wiggertals. These are in addition to Wikon village 1.1 km to the north lies Adelboden ( 439 m asl. ) Rotfärb (1,7 km north-west of the village; 436 m) and the area west of the village at the station Brittnau - Wikon ( with Wikon village grown together ). Wikon -Oberdorf (600 m east of the village; 485-505 m) and the small hamlet Moosersagi ( 2.6 km nordnostöstlich of the village ) on the eastern edge of the municipality are besides some farms more significant settlements.
Moosersagi is located on the Uerke in the homonymous valley. This stream forms the border with Wiliberg in Canton Aargau. The area east of the Wigger level is heavily wooded and very hilly. Southeast of Wikon village lies the wooded Birch Mountain ( 629 m asl. ); east of the village of Ried forest. To the east of Adelboden are the castle forest and the wooded slopes called Gallows Hill ( 586 m). The forest areas of Lienihubel ( 661 m, the highest point of the municipality ), Eichbühl, Mösli and Langrüti close to the east and north of it. All these forests form a closed surface.
In the far east of the municipality in Uerketal it is very marshy. The area east of the Wigger level is therefore virtually uninhabited. To the west of the regional agricultural hamlet behind moss is with about 50 inhabitants. The creek Altachen forms the border with the canton Aargau. From the community area 39.5% is used for agriculture ( in Wiggertal ). More than half ( 51.6 %; east of Wiggertals ) are forested and 8.8 % is built-up area.
The population grew very strongly in 1798-1850 ( 1798-1850: 80.0 %). Thereafter, it began to 1910 a massive gradual migration one ( from 1850 to 1910: -22.5 %). From 1920 to 1970, the population increased continuously ( 1920-1970: 79.4 %). After a decline in the 1970s, one last growth followed over the next decade to its highest ever determined population level. Since then - since 1990 - the population is slowly but steadily, back ( from 1990 to 2004: -6.3 %).
The population used as everyday language, a high- Alemannic dialect. At the last census in 2000 gave 90.39 % German, 3.28% Albanian and Serbo-Croatian at 1.86% as the main language.
Religions - faiths
Previously, all the inhabitants were members of the Roman Catholic Church. Today ( as of 2000) provides for the religious composition of the population as follows: 52.31 % Roman Catholic, 34.20 % Protestant Reformed and 2.38% Orthodox Christians. In addition, one finds 6.63% and 3.20% without giving Muslims. The Orthodox are almost exclusively Serbs and Montenegrins; Muslims Albanians, Turks, and Kurds.
Origin - Nationality
Of the 1,372 inhabitants end of 2006, 1'218 Swiss and 154 ( = 11.2%) foreigners. At the last census was 82.86 % ( 86.66 % including dual citizens ) Swiss nationals. The largest immigrant groups come from Serbia and Montenegro ( Albanians and Slavs ), Italy, Portugal, Germany, Croatia, Turkey and Macedonia.
Since 1908 Wikon, together with Brittnau a stop on the railway line Luzern- Olten. However, since this 600 m west of the village lies, the SDR bus from the train station Zofingen Reiden care to St. Urban or Richenthal addition to good connections to the network of public transport. Wikon is located on road Lucerne ( - Sursee ) Zofingen ( Basel - Olten- ), the so-called Basler Strasse. The nearest motorway junction is Reiden on the A2 at 4 km.
Like finds like stone age fire equipment show, the community was settled very early. The place, however, is occupied by name rather late for the first time. In 1256 sealed Count Hermann of Kyburg apud Wiggen. The castles ( the sources vary between four and five castles ) however, have been built in the 11th century and belonged to the rule of the Counts of Lenzburg. Were later, as mentioned above, the Kyburgs the masters, which were followed by the Habsburgs as the heir. Under the latter Wikon was a part of the county Willisau. The Knights of Büttikon were long the lords. In 1415, the Berne and Lucerne conquered the Habsburg Aargau. In Wikon both sides occupied castles and fought over the domination. The town was awarded in 1470 in Lucerne by a federal decision. Just six years later, the Lucerne by Hans Thüringstrasse Büttikon also bought the lower courts so that they dominated the community in full. Together with Roggliswil formed Wikon until 1798, the bailiwick Wikon. During the Peasants' War, the residents held from May 26 to June 10, 1653 the bailiff caught. From 1798 to 1803, the community then belonged to the district Altishofen and since then the newly established Office Willisau.
Despite the small size of municipality Wikon is economically strategic location, the proximity of the larger Reiden (whose industrial area north seamlessly into that of Wikon passes ), Zofingen and the nearby motorway junction is used by several industries. Mention may be made Hunkeler AG, Juffern AG, flat glass and Switzerland AG ALHO container. Located in the village are also the four dining establishments Restaurant Schlossberg, Bahnhöfli Restaurant, Hotel Adelboden and the pizza delivery service Pizza Roma.
The experience Wikon station offers guided tours upon request through the old station building with all sorts of museum pieces.
The Spycher is an old wooden building in the village of Adelboden, take place in and around which many cultural events such as concerts, openings, etc.. This is called by analogy to culture in Spycher.