Zaprešić is a city in Croatia. It is located in the County of Zagreb 17 km from Zagreb and has 25,223 inhabitants ( 2011 census ).
Zaprešić with 25,223 inhabitants ( 2011) the third largest city in the County of Zagreb. The city covers an area of 52.6 km ². With 480 inhabitants per km ², it is the most densely populated place in the county (compared to the average population density in the Zagreb County about 101 per km ²). The other area, which is one - Pušća to the city and seven other communities in the area - Bistra, Brdovec, Dubravica, Jakovlje, Luka, Marija Gorica and extends over an area of 251.8 km ². After elementary counting from the year 2001, 50 992 inhabitants live there. The area around Zaprešić around located in the valley of three rivers. West of this is Slovenia to the north, the Krapina-Zagorje County, in the south of Samobor and Zagreb in the east.
- Rivers: Sutla in the West, Save in the south, in the east Krapina
- Mountainous parts: Medvednica in the east, Marijagoričko pobrdje in the northwest
- Nature Reserves: wildfowl reserve Sava in the city Zaprešić and in the community Brdovec, Botanical Reserve Cret Dubravica in the community Dubravica, Medvednica Nature Park on the territory of the city and the communities Bistra and Jakovlje
Written was the first city in connection with the Church of St. Peter, built in 1334, is mentioned.
The first evidence for the prehistoric colonization of space Zaprešić deliver prehistoric finds from Brdovec, Marija Gorica and traces of a settlement from the Iron Age in the church Sv. Kriz.
Other remains from antiquity could be found in Brdovec. In the Roman Empire here was the road Emona (Ljubljana) - Neviodunum ( the present village Drnovo at Krško in Slovenia up to the Save was passable ) - Siscia ( Sisak ). Furthermore, a transition over the Sava was located in the municipality Brdovec on the local road connected next to the Sutla with the road Emona Siscia.
At the end of the 11th century ( around the year 1094 ) received ACA, the confidant of the king of Hungary Ladislaus I., east and west of this the area of Medvednica. This property, from which later developed into a county, began on the western borders of the mountain and covered by the Save to Sutla.
In the 15th - 16th Century, many immigrants fled from the Ottoman troops. Their descendants preserved the typical ikavischen dialect ( icavica ), which is still taught in elementary schools in the city.
In the year 1573 brought the serfs to a peasant uprising. One of their leaders was Ilija Gregorić from Marija Gorica. At the end of the 16th century were formed in the region of several small counties and 17-18. Century lived there for the smaller needle. Structures that are reminiscent of that era simple castles, built on ten smaller plots of land. Some of them are still preserved.
Zaprešić became an important hub for both regional as well as international traffic. The first railway line in Croatia went through Zaprešić. According to some theories are used to merchants with their horse-drawn carriages be ( " zaprega " ) drawn by the city to go to Zagreb, hence the name Zaprešić.
On 30 November 1995, the City Council formed the present town Zaprešić at a meeting. The following places are from that point on to the city Zaprešić: Zaprešić, Ivanec, Jablanovec, Hruševec Kupljenski, Kupljenovo, Pojatno and Sibice. A day to honor the city is on the 16th of October, on the anniversary of Ban Josip Jelacic determined.
Economy / Traffic
Major industries in and around Zaprešić are the ceramic, chemical, metal, food and pharmaceutical industries as well as tourism. Furthermore, there is still production for the manufacture of railway structures ( rails, switches ) and technical gas.
Zaprešić is located on the regional main road as well as at the international railway between Zagreb and Ljubljana.
In the area around the city there are some known preserved castles, in the 18th/19th. Century emerged. Two of them fall into a special category: First, the Baroque castle in Gornja Bistra Oršić ( a part of the community Bistra ), on the other hand the Januševec Castle in Brdovec, which is regarded by some writers as the most beautiful monument of classical architecture in Croatia. In addition, there is the Luznica Castle at Sibice (city Zaprešić ) Laduč ( Brdovec ) and Novi Dvori in Zaprešić. Besides the many castles still residences of the former counts, churches and typical houses from the region Zagorje (traditional, blue -painted on the facades of buildings Dubravica ) are present.
The early baroque palace Novi Dvori ( to German: "New Courts " ) here represents a unique example, since the whole complex of the manor of about 20.5 ha, including the castle itself, the chapel of St. Joseph; Gardens; farm buildings as well as the grave of the Jelacic family, has been preserved. it is believed that the foundation stone for the castle, called in Latin also Curia Nova, was laid in 1611. Initially it belonged to the noble family Zrinski, it Count Čikulina, Sermagea, Festetića and Erdodya. in 1851 eventually bought Ban Josip Jelacic Novi Dvori from the then owner, Count Aleksander Erdodya for 175,000 forints and let them thoroughly remodel. from 1863 to the castle was owned by the brother Đure Jelacic. Upon the death of his daughter Countess Anke Jelacic in 1934, took over the Croatian cultural association Matica Hrvatska administration. During the period of NDH from 1941 to 1945 it was the residence of the leader of the Nazi- fascist Ustasha movement Ante Pavelić. From 1945-1956 was in the castle for a school house and agriculture, later only for agriculture as well as a boarding school. But even as early as 1970 ended one this operation. Today belongs to the museum " Matija Skurjeni " as well as a golf course to the complex of Novi Dvori.
Among the many sports clubs in Zaprešić the local football club NK Inter Zaprešić be emphasized, one of the founding members of the first HNL. Currently ( 2012/ 2013), the club plays in the Croatian football league.
- Baltazar Adam Krčelić, ( 1715th - 1778th ), Doctor of Philosophy and Theology, lawyer, rector of the Croatian Board in Vienna, chronicler, historian and writer
- Pavao Štoos, ( 1806th - 1862. ), Poet
- Ante Kovačić ( 1854th - 1889th ), writer, poet
- Ivan Perkovac, ( 1826th - 1871st ), writer, newspaper editor
- Prior Gobac, singer
- Matija Skurjeni, ( 1898th - 1990th ), painter
- Joseph Jelacic of Bužim, ( 1,801th - 1859. ) Croatian Ban ( appointed 1848)
- Mira Vlahovic, opera singer
- Prior Vukovic, painter