Cerniaz (VD ) ( [ sɛʀnja ], in the local dialect: [ θɛrnja ] ) was until the merger with some neighboring communities to Valbroye on 1 July 2011, a municipality in the district of Granges- près- Marnand District Broye Vully in the Swiss canton of Vaud.
The canton abbreviation VD is used by the Swiss federal authorities to distinguish Cerniaz of the homophonic Fribourg municipality Cerniat.
Cerniaz is located on 687 m above sea level. M., 11 km south-southwest of the district main town Payerne ( straight line ). The hamlet extends on a terrace on the upper east flank of the Broye, in the eastern canton of Vaud Mittelland.
The area of 1.8 km ² large former municipal area includes a portion of the hill country between the Broyetal and the Glânetal. The whole area is situated on a hill that slopes down to the northwest to Broye. This slope is in two divided by the deeply cut into the molasse of the V-shaped valley Trémeule. At the height of La Careime is 751 m above sea level. M. reached the highest point of Cerniaz. From the municipality surface 1997 4 % came from settlements, 19 % of forest and woody plants and 77% to agriculture.
The municipality Cerniaz the hamlet of La Ville belonged (700 m above sea level. M. ) above the village and some individual farms. Neighboring communities of Cerniaz were Villarzel, Villars- Bramard, Seigneux and Henniez.
With 55 inhabitants ( 31 December 2010) Cerniaz was one of the smallest municipalities of the canton of Vaud. Of the 98.4 % inhabitants are French-speaking and German-speaking 1.6 % (as of 2000). The population of Cerniaz amounted in 1870 to 173 residents in 1900 to 145 inhabitants. After the population had decreased to 1990 by another 60 % to 56 persons, the population has since remained practically stable.
Cerniaz still lives mainly from agriculture, especially from agriculture and animal husbandry. Outside the primary sector there are no jobs in the village. Some employed persons are also commuters who work in the larger towns in the area.
Cerniaz is off the major thoroughfares on a road from Marnand to Romont. By Postbus course, which runs from Payerne to Romont, Cerniaz is connected to the public transport network.
The municipal area was already inhabited in the Burgundian, which is attested by finds of graves from this period. It also remains of an early medieval fortification system were discovered. The first mention of the town is found in 1153 as Sernia in a directory of the possessions of the abbey Hauterive. Cerniaz is a frankoprovenzalische equivalent of the French words Cernée, " by clearing vacant area ".
Since the Middle Ages Cerniaz was under the jurisdiction of Villarzel, which in turn was owned by the Bishop of Lausanne. With the conquest of Vaud by Bern in 1536, the village came under the administration of the Bailiwick Moudon. After the collapse of the ancien régime Cerniaz belonged from 1798 to 1803 during the Helvetic Republic to the canton of Geneva, who came up then with the enactment of the Act of Mediation in the canton of Vaud. 1798 was assigned to the District Payerne. This is part of the parish of Dompierre Cerniaz possessed a chapel in the middle ages.