Mae Ping National Park

The National Park Mae Ping ( Thai: อุทยานแห่งชาติ แม่ ปิ ง ) is a national park in Thailand. It is located in the northwestern region of the country.


The National Park Mae Ping was declared in July 1981 for the 32nd national park of Thailand.


The National Park covers an area of ​​627 346 Rai ( 1003.75 km ²), it extends over the districts ( Amphoe ) Li ( Lamphun province ), Sam Ngao ( Tak province ) and Doi Tao ( Chiang Mai province ).

In the territory of the park there are several mountain ranges, with an average altitude of 900 meters and with the Doi Huai Lao ( ดอย ห้วย หลาว, 1,334 meters), the highest elevation. Another mountain is Doi Pha Ri A part of the western boundary of the park corresponds to the course of the river Maenam Ping.


As in almost all other parts of the country there are also three seasons, the rainy, winter - and summer season. Depending on the geographical location and altitude can register here return completely different temperatures, from hot summer nights up -digit temperatures in the higher altitudes. The April, 38 ° C, the hottest month, while the lowest temperature was found to be about 14 ° C in January.

The annual rainfall is 700 mm, while in May fall the most rainfall. The December and January are the driest months.

Flora and Fauna

The Mae Ping National Park consists of 80% of mountains with a sandy bottom; this is covered with deciduous forests, the deciduous forests extend up to an altitude of almost 1000 meters. The other 20 % of the park consist of valleys, streams and bays, which are also covered with deciduous forests. The park is a habitat for many different species of plants and is home to a rich variety of animals.

Plant species

  • Teak
  • Dipterocarpus obtusifolius
  • Afzelia xylocarpa ( Thai: มะค่าโมง, [ ma.kha. Mo: ng ] )
  • Hopea odorata
  • Hopea ferrea
  • Pterocarpus macrocarpus
  • Amlabaum ( Phyllanthus emblica )
  • Terminalia bellirica
  • Terminalia chebula
  • Cogon ( Imperata cylindrica )


The national park is home to a variety of large and small wild animals:

  • Called the endangered Asiatic Black, and Asian black bear (Ursus thibetanus )
  • The endangered sun bear ( Helarctos malayanus )
  • The endangered Chinese serow ( Capricornis milneedwardsii )
  • Hornbill
  • Brown Shrike (Lanius cristatus), นก อี เสือ สี น้ำตาล
  • Bacchus (Ardeola bacchus )
  • Scarlet macaw ( Butorides striata )
  • Small Indian mongoose ( Herpestes javanicus)


The Mae Ping National Park offers a wealth of attractions. On the one hand there is the possibility to observe rangeland Thung Kik a number of animals, on the other hand, there are several waterfalls and caves. Not to be forgotten is the Bhumibol Dam and the Kaeng Co- reservoir:

  • Ko Luang Waterfall; he falls down on seven stages limestone.
  • To the Pat Waterfall
  • The order - Pae Waterfall
  • Yang Wi -den, a sandstone cave
  • The Mor - cave to the north of the park