The MLS Cup is the final match of the American Football League Major League Soccer. The winner of the MLS Cup champion and is qualified along with the winner of the MLS Supporters' Shield for the CONCACAF Champions League.
As a trophy to the winner is the Philip F. Anschutz Trophy presented, which is named after one of the biggest sponsors of the MLS. By 2007, the Alan I. Rothenberg Trophy was awarded, which was named after the founding president of the MLS. So the logo was also used for the 2009 season the Scudetto on the jersey, which must bear the reigning champion, transformed. The new Scudetto (according to the Italian Serie A ) shows the Alan I. Rothenberg Trophy and a champion star. This star moves in the following season on the team logo to symbolize the won championships.
The venue is usually determined one to two years in advance. It's only happened twice that of the MLS Cup was played in the stadium of one of the finalists.
* sold out
After the game, the best player will be honored with the MLS Cup MVP Award. The previous title holder:
- D.C. United and Los Angeles Galaxy won four MLS Cup - winning record champions of Major League Soccer.
- D.C. United, Houston Dynamo and LA Galaxy are the three franchises that could defend the MLS Cup successfully.
- D.C. United, Chicago Fire SC and Houston Dynamo are the only franchises that won the championship in their first MLS season.
- Los Angeles Galaxy 's record attendance with eight playoff appearances.
- Between 1996 and 1999, D.C. United four times in a row on the part of MLS Cup, a record until today.
- New England Revolution is the only franchise that lost three MLS Cups in a row.
- Four teams were both the MLS Cup and the MLS Supporters' Shield in the same season win: DC United ( 1997, 1999 ), the Kansas City Wizards (2000 ) Los Angeles Galaxy (2002 ), and the Columbus Crew ( 2008).
- Three teams won the league and cup double: DC United ( 1996), Chicago Fire SC (1998 ) and Los Angeles Galaxy ( 2005).
- D.C. United and Chicago Fire SC are the only franchises to have won all games of the play-off round.
- The Kansas City Wizards were in 2000, despite two defeats in the play-off champion.
- The Los Angeles Galaxy hold the record for ten play off appearances in a row. The series pulled in the 2006 season.
- Los Angeles Galaxy and D.C. United are the only MLS Cup winner who missed the following season, the play-offs.