Auhausen is a municipality in the Swabian district of Donau-Ries and a member of the administrative community Oettingen in Bayern.

  • 3.1 monuments
  • 4.1 Economy, agriculture and forestry
  • 4.2 traffic
  • 4.3 Education


Auhausen is the northernmost town in the Bavarian administrative region of Swabia and is on the edge of the Nordlinger Ries, about 6 km north of Oettingen. West of the river Wörnitz flows past the southern boundary of Bruckbach, which flows south-west into the Wörnitz. Around Auhausen there are numerous recreational areas and historical cities.

There are the districts: Auhausen, thorn town, Lochbach as well as the non- Brandenburg ( unincorporated ) area in the Oettinger Forestry / linker Baindt. To Auhausen includes the hamlet Wachfeld, Heuhof, Pfeifhof and Fuerth.

See also: Postal thorn city


Auhausen is first mentioned in the year 959, when Otto I on June 12, his faithful Hartmann gives the court the seriousness confiscated personal property in Auhausen and West home. Mentioned in 1136 Pope Innocent II ( 1130-1143 ) Auhausen in a privilege for the already existing monastery. The exact foundation of the town may as well as the Benedictine monastery not be mentioned in documents. Nevertheless, for historical and local onomastic reasons ( Frankish ) town founded by the 9th century, may be as expanding settlements of West home or Geilsheim, rejected. For the founding of a monastery the years 1129-1133 can be accepted because the founders, Hartmann von Auhausen, appears in records in February 1133 as a witness of the bishop in Naumburg Saale valley. Here he founded, his three sons and grandchildren, the dynasty of the Lords of Lobdeburg with new headquarters in Jena and later above -Lobeda. The ownership of the Wörnitz he gave up on goods splinter the new monastery. The noble lords of Auhausen are free with gaps 959-1129 in connection with Auhausen or Alerheim (only Burggrafenamt ) tangible. The departure of the lords of A. made ​​the inhabitants for centuries to subjects of the monastery.

At the monastery's history to 1534 see storm in ref

Rebellious peasants ravaged the monastery during the Peasants' War in May 1525. 1530 fled the last abbot Georg Steward of Wetzhausen to Eichstätt. This has since become ansbachisch monastery joined the Lutheran doctrine and was dissolved in 1537. The monastery church was the parish church.

1608 the Protestant princes of the empire banded together to protect alliance of the Protestant Union in Auhausen monastery. The monastery buildings themselves were largely demolished in the 19th century. In the tests set by Karl August von Hardenberg as Prussian Minister in Ansbach -Bayreuth Prussian- oettingischen boundary settlements 1796 the ansbachische Klosteramts fell to the Counts of Oettingen- Spielberg and thus in their mediatization with the Act of Confederation in 1806 to the Kingdom of Bavaria. Here, the former Frankish Auhausen was assigned to the Upper Danube Swabian circle or the later Regierungsbezirk Schwaben together with Oettingen. 2008/2009 was hard year for 1050. Anniversary of the first mention of Auhausen and the 400th anniversary of the founding of the Protestant Union of Auhausen 1608.


On October 1, 1975, until then independent municipality Lochbach was incorporated. On May 1, 1978, added thorn city.

Population Development


  • Parish Church of St Mary: Former monastery church, three-nave Romanesque basilica with Gothic choir and characteristic twin-tower facade. See for Church and features the information in Dehio, pp. 151-154 in ref High altar of 1513 by Hans Schaufelin
  • Pillars frescoes: among others hl. Sorrow, hl. Anthony Abbas ( Antoniterorden ) with pigs, last third of the 15th century.
  • Murals
  • Works by Loy Hering, Eichstätt, and his workshop: Wetzhausen - memorial & Sakramentarium 1521, grave George Steward of Wetzhausen up in 1530.
  • Wooden ceiling in the nave of the nave in 1542 with grisaille painting of Jesse Herlin, Nördlingen.
  • Old choir stalls from 1420 in the northern extension ( side chapel ).
  • Stalls in the choir in 1519 by Melchior Schabert Donauwörth.
  • Donors tomb in 1542 by Hans Fuchs, Nördlingen
  • Organ by George Martin Gessinger, Rothenburg ob der Tauber, with prospectus of 1776 and old high choir mood. 1976/77 by Steinmeyer, Oettingen renovated with the addition of a second manual.


Economy and infrastructure

Economy, agriculture and forestry

According to official statistics in 1998 there were 101 in the manufacturing sector and in trade and transport, no social insurance contributions at the workplace. Social insurance contributions at residence, there were 381 in the manufacturing sector, there were two, in the construction operation. In addition, in 1999, there were 46 farms with an agricultural area of 1,191 ha, of which 810 ha of arable land and 380 ha of permanent grassland.


Auhausen lies on the railway line Nördlingen -Gunzenhausen, which currently takes place no regular passenger services. The state road St 2221 through the town and connects it to Öttingen in the south and in the north Wassertruedingen.


2011, there were the following facilities:

  • Kindergarten: 60 kindergarten places with 32 children

Sons and daughters of the town

  • Philipp Meyer (1896-1962), German politician and Member of Parliament (CSU )
  • Otto Meyer- Auhausen (1893-1970), producer, writer, author, inter alia, an autobiography (see references )

Literature (selection )

  • Meyer- Auhausen, Otto: Even if the light went out. Leipzig 1936.
  • Meyer, Otto: When the village was still my world. Nördlingen undated
  • Grosskopf, Hans: The Lords of Lobdeburg at Jena. A Thuringian- dynastic Osterländisches from the 12th to the 15th century. Neustadt an der Orla in 1929.
  • Sturm, Klaus: history of the monastery Auhausen at the Wörnitz. Collection sheet of the Historical Society of Eichstätt, 63 born 1969/70. Eichstätt 1970.
  • Kudorfer, Dieter: Nördlingen. Historical Atlas of Bavaria. Part of Swabia. Issue 8 Munich 1974.
  • Reindl, Peter: Loy Hering. Basel 1977.
  • District of Donau -Ries. Donauwörth 1991, pp. 270-273 and 727/728.
  • Schlagbauer, Albert and Kavasch Wulf -Dietrich ( ed. ): Rieser biographies. Nördlingen 1993.
  • Schorr, Willi ( ed. ): 1500 years francs in Western home. 4 volumes. Munich 1996 ff
  • Müller, Arndt Hartmann of Auhausen - its founder Tomb in the Protestant parish church Auhausen at the Wörnitz. In: Rieser Culture Days. Documentation band XIII/2000. Nördlingen 2001, pp. 429-463.
  • Metzger, Christof: Hans Schaufelin as a painter. Berlin 2002.
  • Dettweiler, Herbert: Old landmarks in the Ries. Archaeological monuments special kind of Nördlingen in 2003.
  • Müller, Arndt: Pictures of the Volto Santo and the St. Sorrow in the Ries and in its environment. In: Rieser Culture Days. Documentation band XVI/2006. Nördlingen 2007, pp. 309-349.
  • Dehio, Georg: Handbook of German art monuments. Bayern III: Swabia. Munich / Berlin, 2008.
  • 400 years of Protestant Union Auhausen 1608-2008. Festschrift. Auhausen 2008.
  • With trumpets and trombones .... 60 years Posaunenchor Auhausen 1948-2008. Festschrift. Auhausen 2008.
  • Müller, Arndt: From the Wörnitz on the Saale. On the early history of the Lords of Auhausen until around the year 1130. In: Yearbook of the Historical Society of Nördlingen and the ream. Volume 32 ( 2009). Nördlingen 2009, pp. 135-175.