Gangneung is a city in Gangwon Province. On the east coast of South Korea on the Sea of Japan located it is the economic center of the region Yeongdong ( Kor. 영동, Hanja岭东).
- 313: In the 14th year of the reign of King Micheon ( Kor. 미천왕, Hanja美 川 王) of Goguryeo is today called Gangneung hare orang ( Kor. 하서 랑, Hanja河西 良) or Haseula ( Kor. 하슬라, Hanja何 瑟罗).
- 397: In the 42nd year of the reign of Silla King Naemul ( Kor. 내물 마립간, Hanja奈 勿 麻 立 干) Haseula was supplied to the territory of Silla.
- 512: Ichan Isabu ( Kor. 이찬 이사부, Hanja伊 澯 异 斯夫), the ruler of Haseula conquered Usan - guk ( Kor. 우산국, Hanja于 山 国), today's Ulleung Island ( Kor. 울릉도, Hanja郁 陵 岛).
- 757: In the 16th year of the reign of Silla King Gyeongdeok ( Kor. 경덕왕, Hanja景德 王) was Haseula renamed Myeongju ( Kor. 명주, Hanja溟 州) and consisted of 9 gun ( Kor. 군, Hanja郡) and 25 hyeon ( Kor. 현, Hanja县).
- 1263: In the 4th year of the reign of the Goryeo king Wonjong ( Kor. 원종, Hanja元 宗) is renamed Myeongju in Gangneung -do ( Kor. 강릉 도, Hanja江陵 道).
- 1931: The community -myeon Gangneung ( Kor. 강릉 면, Hanja江陵 面) is the small town of Gangneung - eup ( Kor. 강릉 읍, Hanja江陵 邑) explains.
- 1955: The Act No. 369 the town Gangneung - eup, and the municipalities Seongdeok -myeon ( Kor. 성덕면, Hanja城 德 面) and Gyeongpo -myeon ( Kor. 경포 면, Hanja镜 浦 面) will be merged and the city of Gangneung levied.
- 1995: The Circle Myeongju -gun ( Kor. 명주군, Hanja溟 州郡) is incorporated, the name Gangneung -si ( Kor. 강릉시, Hanja江陵 市) remains.
- Jumunjin - eup ( 주문진읍 )
- Sungsan -myeon ( 성산면 )
- Wangsan -myeon ( 왕산면 )
- Gujung -myeon ( 구정면 )
- Gangdong -myeon ( 강동면 )
- Okgye -myeon ( 옥계면 )
- Sachun -myeon ( 사천면 )
- Yungok -myeon ( 연곡면 )
- Hongje -dong ( 홍제동 )
- Jungang -dong ( 중앙동 )
- Okchun -dong ( 옥천동 )
- 1 Gyo -dong ( 동 교 1 )
- Gyo 2 -dong ( 교 2 동 )
- PONAM 1 -dong ( 동 포남 1 )
- PONAM 2 -dong ( 포남 2 동 )
- Chodang -dong ( 초당동 )
- Song Jung- dong ( 송정동 )
- Naegok -dong ( 내곡동 )
- Gangnam- dong ( 강남동 )
- Sungduk -dong ( 성덕동 )
- Gyungpo -dong ( 경포 동 )
The city of Gangneung is known in the cultural sphere probably mainly because of its many festivals. Mention should be made here in the first place, the full moon festival ( Danoje ), the beginning of June held at the fairground in Danojang on Namdaecheon river every year. It is run as a No. 13 national, intangible, important cultural property since 1967 and has been included in their list since 25 November 2005 by UNESCO. The festival is a combination of various commemorative rituals and traditional games. Particularly worth mentioning is the traditional mask dance Gwanno ( Gwanno Gamyeongeuk ), which is exclusively listed by state actors and as part of this festival.
In addition to old, traditional festivals such as the Danoje there are also some younger festival. Especially the IJAF ( International Junior Art Festival) now enjoys great popularity. It is a cultural youth festival, which is attended by groups from all over the world. In addition to the performances of each group also includes discovering the culture of Korea to the affiliate program. The festival takes place every year since 2002 at the end of July Gyeongpo Beach. Also the Gyeongpo Rock Festival, which takes place following the International Junior Art Festival since 2006, attracts many especially younger visitors. This festival offers young bands from the area around the city of Gangneung a stage.
The museums of the city of Gangneung is quite diverse. Mentioned here is highlighted especially the Ojukheon Museum, which takes its name from the growing black bamboo in this area and the birthplace of the scholar Yi Yulgok (1536-1584) and his mother Shin Saimdang ( 1504-1551 ). The museum is managed as a National Treasure No. 165 since 1963. One of the oldest preserved original wooden buildings of South Korea as well as various shrines and homes give insight into the lives of these two famous Koreans. Attached is the Gangneung Municipal Museum, pieces will be exhibited in the folklore and antiquity. Also revealing is a visit to the Daegwallyeong Museum, which is based on a 1000 exhibits very extensive private collection and reflects the country's history.
- Chichibu (Japanese秩 父 市), Saitama (Japanese埼 玉 県Saitama-ken prefecture), Japan ( since 1983)
- Jiaxing (Chinese嘉兴), Zhejiang Province (Chinese浙江), People's Republic of China ( since 1996)
- Jingzhou (Chinese荆州), Hubei Province (in Chinese湖北), People's Republic of China ( since 1997)
- Chattanooga, Tennessee, United States ( since 2003)
- Shin Saimdang (* October 29, 1504 in Gangneung, † May 17, 1551 in Paju ) painter, poet and philosopher at the time of the Joseon Dynasty. Mother of Yi I.
- Yi I ( * 1536, † 1584 ), philosopher and writer at the time of the Joseon Dynasty. Son of Shin Saimdang
- Heo Gyun (* November 3, 1569; † August 24, 1618 ) politician, novelist, writer, philosopher and thinker at the time of the Joseon Dynasty. Brother of Heo Heo Chohui and Pong. Son of Heo Yeop. Supposed author of The Story of Hong Gil -dong.
- Heo Chohui (* 1563 in Gangneung, † March 19, 1589 ), poet and writer, painter and artist, during the Joseon Dynasty. Sister of Heo Gyun and Heo Pong. Daughter of Heo Yeop
- Heo Pong ( 16th century ) politicians in the Joseon Dynasty. Brother of Heo Gyun and Heo Chohui. Son of Heo Yeop
- Heo Yeop (16th century) politicians in the Joseon dynasty and Confucian scholar. Father of Heo Pong, Heo Heo Gyun and Chohui.