Lancia Flavia Berlina (1960-1967)
The Lancia Flavia is a vehicle of the upper middle class, which was built by the manufacturer Lancia between the autumn of 1960 until the end of 1970.
The Flavia was the first Italian production car with front wheel drive and also the first Italian production car with disc brakes on all four wheels. Developed with Antonio Fessia vehicle had a dual-circuit brake system and was powered by a lightweight metal boxer engine, which was placed in front of the front axle.
For the manufacturer, introduced the Flavia several reasons a turning point in the company's history: it was the first car that introduced the ongoing until 2011 tradition of front-wheel drive Lancia. For the first time used Lancia a boxer engine and so since 1919 again an engine in a car, in which the cylinder is not a V-shape were arranged. At the same time was the Flavia, along with the Fulvia, the last car, which was developed by Lancia completely independently and prior to the takeover by Fiat.
The design language of the sedan was already building times as conservative, so that in 1800 Iniezione came only by offering the 1.8 liter engine and the injection variant of the vehicle to large numbers. Shortly before the end of the series still followed a 2.0-liter engine as carburetor and fuel-injected version 2000 Iniezione.
Flavia Berlina ( sedan )
As the first model of the Flavia series sedan ( Berlina ) at the Turin Motor Show was presented in November 1960. The former technical director of the company Lancia, Dr. -Ing. Antonio Fessia, was an advocate of front-wheel drive and boxer engine. This was reflected in the technical realization of the Flavia. The basic design features of the Flavia had already Fessia during 1947 shown at the Paris Motor Show CEMSA F11 the company CEMSA Caproni implemented and anticipated, which was never produced in series.
First series (1960-1967)
The first series of Flavia Sedan (Type 815) was equipped with a continuous front bench seat and column shifter. The front wheels of the Flavia were independently suspended by double wishbones and suspension with a transverse leaf spring to the transmission. The front suspension was mounted on a subframe which also contributed to the motor-gear unit. The rear wheels were connected via a rigid steel tube axis, an axial bar and two articulated with silent blocks longitudinal leaf springs to the body. All wheels had hydraulic telescopic shock absorbers, both axes were equipped with roll bars. The wheels were driven via drive shafts each with two constant velocity joints.
Second series (1967-1970)
With the introduction of the second series in May 1967 (Type 819), the body of Flavia sedan has been completely repainted and received a different interior. Instead of the front bench two single seats were installed and the column shifter was replaced by a floor shift. The new body allowed a slight increase in speed, which is now in the carburettor version 165 and the injector 170 km / h, respectively.
From the beginning of 1969 was recorded as the highest motorization of the 2.0 liter engine in the program. The unit was serving as carburetor 115 hp and fitted as an injection Iniezione 125 hp. They reached a top speed of 175 km and 180 km / h
The Flavia sedan served as the technical basis for all later presented another model variants of the Flavia. The end of 1970 the production of the sedan ran out.
Based on the sedan, but with a shortened wheelbase at 2480 cm, appeared in the spring of 1962, the Flavia Coupe.
Responsible for design and production of the body was Pininfarina. The coupe has a two-door notchback body, offered four seats and weighed about 200 kg less than the sedan.
Beginning of 1969 has been revised coupe. It received a modified front and a slightly modified rear. In addition, the displacement of 1.5 was - and 1.8 -liter Mototen slightly raised. With the otherwise optical facelift here came the 2.0 liter engine as carburetor and injection engine, whose values were similar to those of the sedan. Here the Höchstgeschwingkeit of the injector was 185 km / h
Production of the coupe was discontinued at the end of 1970.
Lancia Flavia Coupe (1969-1970)
From June 1962 to May 1967 a second coupe version was offered, the Lancia Flavia Sport .. Today it is colloquially known as " Flavia Zagato ".
The Flavia Sport was designed and built by Zagato and had been developed especially for racing.
In addition to the trunk lid of sports has a touch of a button from within a few centimeters separately opening rear window. The outer skin of the body is made entirely of aluminum.
Best feature: the liftable rear window
Under the official German sales name Flavia Cabriolet also a cabriolet version was available in June 1962.
The building, designed by Michelotti and built by Vignale model was produced until May 1967 and also offered four seats.
Between autumn 1960 and late 1970, 41 114 copies were sold. Successor of sedan and coupe was the Lancia 2000.
After the merger of Chrysler and Fiat some vehicles in Europe are sold under the brand name Lancia. In this context, the new Chrysler 200 is - consisting of a four-door notchback sedan and a convertible - has been available since mid-2012 as Lancia Flavia in Europe.
The 1800 Iniezione was very early already equipped with a mechanical ball Fischer- injection system, which was common at that time in motor sports, but also in sporty series automobiles such as the Peugeot 404 Injection, the BMW 2002 tii, the BMW M1, the Ford Capri 2600 RS or the Peugeot 504 TI was used.