The Lancia D24 was a racing sports car, which was developed in 1953 with Lancia, and 1953 and 1954 for sports car racing came into use. Apart from the rally versions of the Fulvia, Stratos, the Delta and the thoroughbred rally car Rally 037 was the D24 is the most successful sports car of the Lancia racing history.
After the D20 and the D23 the D24, the third sports car was in a number of designs of the Lancia Constructors division under the leadership of Vittorio Jano. For the D24 D23 of the chassis has been redesigned, this was now shorter and easier. The V6 engine was bored out to 3.3 - liters and now made 198 kW, or 265 hp.
The racing debut of the D24 in the 1000 km race at the Nürburgring in 1953. Juan Manuel Fangio shared the chassis with Felice Bonetto 0002, chassis 0001 drove Robert Manzon and Piero Taruffi. Both cars were made according to technical defects. When Fangio / Bonetto cars went on strike after a pit stop the petrol pump; a defective battery stopped the second vehicle. The Carrera Panamericana was a double victory by the team Fangio / Bronzoni and Taruffi / Maggio. About this success, but no one was particularly pleased with Lancia, the Felice Bonetto in a D24 had a fatal accident in this race. The chassis 0002 was destroyed in the process and not later rebuilt.
1954 was a successful year for the D24. After a triple failure in the 12 Hours of Sebring, Piero Taruffi and copilot Carlo Luoni won the Giro di Sicilia, Alberto Ascari in the Mille Miglia and Piero Taruffi at the Targa Florio. It was followed by other successes of Eugenio Castellotti at national Italian sports car racing and the second and third places in the Tourist Trophy.
After the season ended the Lancia sports car programs, focusing entirely on the single-seater D50 and the Formula 1 World Championship. One of the cars was sold in 1955 to Juan Perón. 1980 returned this vehicle back to Italy, is an Italian nobleman. The second car is still preserved today in the Lancia Museum.