Amphoe Phimai ( Thai: อำเภอ พิมาย ) is a district ( Amphoe - administrative district ) in the northeastern province of Nakhon Ratchasima. The Nakhon Ratchasima province is located in the northeast region of Thailand, the Isaan. The capital of the district is also called Phimai Phimai.
Phimai is located just over 50 kilometers north-east of Nakhon Ratchasima on Maenam Mun and is therefore 270 km from the capital Bangkok. The city is located in the Khorat Plateau, which is drought in the dry season and is ravaged by flooding in the rainy season.
Finds the neighborhood show a settlement already in the Neolithic period. The city itself is under the name Vimai or Vimayapura ( "The city Vimais " ) was founded by the Khmer. It was fortified in the 11th century and developed into a spiritual center of the Khmer Empire. A stone stele from the reign of King Suryavarman I. was found, on which the city Bhirapura ( "Strong City " ) called. Even later in the Kingdom of Ayutthaya and during the Rattanakosin period Phimai was an important city.
In 1900, Mueang Phimai was officially established. 1940, the county was renamed by the government, by the word Mueang was omitted.
- Phimai Historical Park - the best preserved Khmer city on the ground in Thailand, with a gate and broad temples preserved ( in the style of Angkor ).
- National Museum Phimai - finds from around Phimai, with lintels with very beautiful sculptures and Buddha images in the Khmer style.
- Prasat Muang Khao - ruins of former Khmer temple
- Banyan tree (Ficus benghalensis) - with a wide network of aerial roots and a 85 meters in diameter crown.
The county Phimai is divided into 12 subdistricts (tambon ), which are further subdivided into 208 villages ( Muban ).
There are two small towns ( thesaban tambon) in the district:
- Phimai ( Thai: เทศบาล ตำบล พิมาย ) consists of parts of the tambon Nai Mueang.
- Rangka Yai ( Thai: เทศบาล ตำบล รังกา ใหญ่ ) consists of the whole tambon Rangka Yai.
There are also 11 " Tambon Administrative Organizations" (TAO, องค์การ บริหาร ส่วน ตำบล - administrative organizations).