Rovigo is located in the northern Italian region of Veneto and is the capital of the province of Rovigo.
Location and data
The city has 49 965 inhabitants ( 31 December 2012), is the center of the country area Polesine an alluvial plain between Po and Adige, and a transportation hub of this region. Rovigo is a bishopric. The German twin town is four home.
The town was first mentioned in 838 Rovigo gained importance in the Middle Ages by their fortifications that - still be seen today in ruins - should resist the Hungarian threat. Since the 15th century it belonged to the Republic of Venice and shared their fate. Rovigo is now an important market and trading center, and in addition some colleges and universities on a textile, furniture and metal industries.
- Baroque Cathedral of Santo Stefano Papa 1696
- Palazzo Roncale 1599 by Michele Sammicheli
- Palazzo dell'Accademia dei Concordi 1814 with paintings and library
- Octagonal pilgrimage church Chiesa della Beata Vergine del Soccorso ( completed 1603) with paintings by Venetian masters mainly of the 18th century.
Rovigo maintains with the following places partnerships.
- United Kingdom Bedford, United Kingdom
- Romania Tulcea, Romania
- Schlanders Italy, Trentino -Alto Adige (Italy )
- Four Germany, Germany