- Burnley FC
- Games of Burnley FC (since 1883)
- U-18 European Football Championships 1983
The Turf Moor (nickname: The Turf ) is a football stadium in the English town of Burnley, Lancashire. The east of the city center, the sports facility was opened with the game Burnley FC against FC Rawtenstall Athletic ( 3:6 ) on 17 February 1883, making it by Deepdale, the home of Preston North End, the second- oldest continuously occupied by the same football club stadium in England. The football club Burnley FC (nicknamed The Clarets, German Wine Red ) plays its home games from here. It offers up to date on the four ranks 22,546 covered seats.
Turf Moor is used as a sports venue since 1833. The Burnley Cricket Club wearing his games from here. As of 1840, the site served as a racecourse. After the founding of Burnley Rovers FC in 1882, the club presented the following year from the name Rovers; moved to the invitation of the cricket clubs from the old venue Calder Vale and denied in February of his first game at Turf Moor. The Burnley FC and Burnley Cricket Club are still very good neighbors and cooperate with each other.
The first grandstand of wood was built in September 1884 and offered 800 seats. With the natural stands, it captured some 2,000 spectators. In addition, two general admission ranks have been built on the Hintertorseiten with 5,000 seats. The decision to build came after in March 1884 for the local derby against FC Padiham ( 2:4 ) 12.000 spectators came. These were three times as many viewers as came to the final of the FA Cup this year. In October 1886 visited for the first time a member of the British Royal Family, Prince Albert Victor, with the Turf an English football stadium. Prince Albert Victor left already at half time the stadium and Burnley defeated Bolton Wanderers 3:4. The first game of the Football League in the stadium won on 6 October 1888, the Burnley FC against Bolton Wanderers 4-1. After the dissolution of the Union Star Burnley FC 1891, FC Burnley bought the grandstand their venue and placed the Star stand on the north side of the stadium. In March of the year of Burnley FC Nelson received the first floodlit game at Turf Moor; 16 creosote - lamps the playing field was illuminated. The match ends before 3,000 spectators 4-2 for the hosts.
The first successes
In 1898 the old Star supernatant was replaced by a larger audience rank. Five years later, a second grandstand was built; in which, inter alia, the club offices were housed and accommodate the first general meeting of the club in September of this year. To the FA Cup match of the 4th round on March 10, 1909 against Manchester United ( 2:3 ) the star status with turnstiles and breakwaters for £ 600 has been removed. In 1911 the Brunshaw Road stand (now the Bob Lord Stand ); then the £ 5,000 cost. He offered 5,500 visitors place; among them were 2,200 seats. This increased the stadium capacity to just under 41,000 spectators. In 1913, the star was level after only 15 years torn down and rebuilt and expanded the Brunshaw Road stand at the whole length of the place. In addition, the following year was awarded the Cricket Field Stand a roof. With the expansion, the stadium now offered around 50,000 seats; which were filled regularly. These were more people than Burnley then had inhabitants. 1914 paved four home victories in the Turf against FC South Shields, Derby County, Bolton Wanderers Sunderland AFC way into the semi-finals of the FA Cup against Sheffield United and beyond to the final at Crystal Palace against Liverpool. The Burnley FC celebrated on April 25, 1914 with a 1-0 single to date his final victory in the FA Cup.
In 1921, the Burnley FC was able to celebrate his first English championship. On the final day of the Football League First Division 1920/21 they separated on 7 May Before 1921 private audience by the AFC Sunderland 2-2 with goals. A year later made a semi-final of the FA Cup, which will be played in the finals on neutral ground, the first and only time in the station Turf Moor. The 46,000 spectators saw a 3-1 victory for the later Cupsiegers Huddersfield Town against Notts County. Since the pitch was too short for the semi-finals; had to be extended for 4 yards to 115 yards. For the next game, the previous state is restored. Two years later came to the FA Cup match of the 3rd round between FC Burnley and Huddersfield Town on 23 February 1924, the record number of 54 755 spectators in the stadium. So far the only international match of the English national football team in the history of the stadium was held on November 28, 1927 against Wales. The hosts lost the game the British Home Championship with 1:2 goals. At the end of the 1930s there were plans further construction; but which have been superseded by the Second World War.
After the Second World War
The development of the stadium began in 1954 continued, as the Tribune Longside was completed with the assistance of youth players of FC Burnley. The building was completed for the covered Admission Rank on £ 20,000. Three years later, the plant received its first permanently installed floodlights; which was inaugurated in the match against local rivals Blackburn Rovers on 6 December 1957. Until the mid-1970s it was used and replaced by a new facility. After winning the second championship of the English Football League First Division in 1960 was celebrated on November 16th of the year, the first European Cup game at Turf Moor. The Burnley FC received the French representative Stade Reims; it ended with a 2-0 victory for the home side. After a 2:3 in the second leg of the club met in the quarterfinals at Hamburger SV. Despite a reached on January 18, 1961 3-1 home victory; divided the team by 1:4 on March 15 in Hamburg.
In 1969 the construction of the new grandstand Cricket Field End (today: David Fishwick Stand ) officially opened by the Lord Lieutenant of Lancashire after two years of construction. The built for £ 180,000 new building housed the changing rooms behind the goal, as well as a players' tunnel. The formerly possessed modern rank as the first stadium in England seats for the viewers. It consisted of an oil heater that ran through long pipelines the warm air to the individual squares. Due to high costs but this was stopped after two years. The renovation of the stadium continued with the construction of rank Bob Lord Stand with over 2,500 seats. The building, which cost £ 450,000 was opened in 1974 by ex- Prime Minister Edward Heath. Furthermore, it was installed a drainage system and a soil heating under the playing field in the year.
From the mid 1970s until the mid- 1980s led the way of Burnley FC from the Football League First Division all the way down into the Football League Fourth Division and so did at this time a little in the home of the Clarets. On 13 May 1983, the game of the U-18 Football Championship between Czechoslovakia and the Federal Republic of Germany, the U-18 Football Championship was held at Turf Moor. The German team was defeated by the Czechoslovaks 3-1.
From the 1990s to the present day
The club slowly recovered and played in the 1994/95 season back in the Football League First Division. In December 1994, the decision was made to demolish the main grandstand and a stand behind and replace them with two double-decker seating grandstands, according to the requirements of the Taylor Report. After the contracts were signed with the construction company Linpave Building in July 1995; took place the last game before the old master rank against Hull City ( 2-1 ) on September 16. On 23 April 1996, the new grandstand named James Hargreaves Stand was opened at the game against Bristol Rovers. A day later, the demolition work began on Ostrang; In September 1996, the audience Rank Jimmy McIlroy was completed state. The grandstand was named after the former player of FC Burnley, Jimmy McIlroy, named and released for the first time in a game against FC Blackpool for the audience. The cost of the two new buildings amounted to 5.3 million pounds. Wheelchair total of 42 spaces are available; including 22 for Home and 20 for away fans.
On 4 September 2003, the English national football team of the women made her debut at the stadium in Burnley. The English women won against Australia in a friendly match 1-0. For the 2010/11 season new turf was laid from a mixture of natural and synthetic fibers in the stadium. In the natural grass approximately 20 million artificial fibers were inserted 20 cm into the ground. By the time they intertwine to a robust playing surface. With the new turf, a new irrigation system and a soil heating for a total of £ 750,000 has been installed.
In July 2007, the Burnley FC introduced the plan for another renovation of the stadium for £ 20 million. The plans provide for a new building of the David Fishwick Stand with 2,500 seats for £ 10 million. Integrated in this is a hotel, a restaurant, a business center and a cricket pavilion for Burnley Cricket Club. About this the Bob Lord Stand for 3.75 million pounds is to be modernized with VIP lounges, a cinema, restaurants and club offices. Between the James Hargreaves Stand and Jimmy McIlroy stand to be built new changing rooms and lodges. New stores and club bar and restaurant for the home fans are on the agenda. On the training grounds of Gawthorpe Hall to create a football school for young players. The whole project is divided into six phases and will be implemented over three years of construction.
In April 2008, the City Council unanimously approved the Burnley plans to remodel the Turf Moor. In October 2008, the club had to stop the plans because of the global financial crisis for the time being and move to a later date. The promotion to the Premier League 2009/10 with the descent after one season left a record loss of £ 11.7 million at the box office of the association. As soon as the financial situation has improved for the club, the construction project is to be resumed.
- James Hargreaves Stand - 8,154 seats The 1996 newly built grandstand on the north side is designed double-decker with the lower and Oberrrang. On it are, inter alia, to 32 VIP boxes, each with 10 seats and a private balcony as well as conference and meeting rooms. The new building replaced the popular Long Side stand
- Bob Lord Stand - 3,987 seats The opposite stands in the south is the flattest of the four ranks and was named after former club chairman Bob Lord, who led the club from 1955 to 1981. The building was created in 1974 partly financed by the sale of playmaker Martin Dobson to Everton.
- Jimmy McIlroy Stand - 6,280 seats The East Stand was built in 1996 also bears the name of former Burnley - Stars Jimmy McIlroy and replaced the Bee Hole End. McIlroy played between 1950-1962 a total of 439 matches and scored 116 goals for Burnley. The Tribune is visually identical to the main rank and also includes modern lodges and catering areas. On the upper level is located with the Family Stand the area for families.
- David Fishwick Stand - 4,125 seats The 1969 inaugurated stand behind Cricket Field End in the West since 2004 carries the sponsors name David Fishwick Stand for a car dealer for minibuses and wheelchair accessible minibuses. On it the away fans will find about 2,100 places. In Grosserer demand all 4,125 places for foreign visitors to be released.